[comp.sys.mac.apps] merge quotes in Word 4 -- Try Nisus' Mail Merge

jon@weber.ucsd.edu (Jon Matousek) (11/28/90)

In article <14864.9011201902@s4.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
>I recently asked here:
>
>> When I do a Print Merge in Word 4, it complains if it finds unmatched
>> merge quotes (the option-backslash and shift-option-backslash characters).
>> Reasonable enough, but what do I do if I want to use those characters as
>> characters, rather than as merge command delimiters?
>
>I received a reply from someone at Microsoft, saying it isnt possible
>(but that a future version of Word may let you specify which characters
>to use as merge quotes).  Ah well.

In Nisus 3.0, you can do the following:

<< Set left="<<" >>

after assigning << to the variable "left" you can then use it
to obtain a left merge quote; e.g. <<left>>. (After banging around
in Word 4 I verified that Word will not do this.) I believe there
should be no problem with the right merge quote in Nisus and you can
use it directly.

Nisus 3's mail merge is fairly robust as MacWorld Australia pointed out
in a recent article. In the past, they had used Word's mail merge to
create large product indicies ("...a few hundred kilobytes"). The article
complains how Word chokes on unmatched quotes ("") in the data file causing
them much headache.  Then they tried Nisus 3's new (Word compatible)
mail merge facility.  "...Nisus swallowed the entire database in one pass
for all the software entries and another for the hardware entries, without
a single error.  We could not believe it.  The time saving over last year
had been in the order of eight hours..."

Don't believe them, try it out for yourself. E-mail me your name and
address for a free Nisus 3 demo disk. Any questions call Paragon's
free tech. support. 800-922-2993.

Cheers,

-jOn

%%
SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;      Internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
%%                                   Bitnet:    jmatousek@ucsd
Paragon Concepts, Inc.               AppleLink: D0405
990 Highland Drive, #312
Solana Beach, Ca. 92075              Voice:     (619)481-1477
USA                                  FAX:       (619)481-6154

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (11/28/90)

In article <4088@network.ucsd.edu> jon@weber.ucsd.edu (jOn mAtOUsEk) writes:
>Don't believe them, try it out for yourself. E-mail me your name and
>address for a free Nisus 3 demo disk. Any questions call Paragon's
>SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;      Internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
>%%                                   Bitnet:    jmatousek@ucsd
>Paragon Concepts, Inc.               AppleLink: D0405

-- FLAME ON --

Is anyone else as sick and tired as I am of seeing this BLATANT ADVERTISING
for Nisus any time someone asks a question about MS Word??

For that matter, doesn't this kind of advertising violate netiquette?

Jon, all these people are asking "How can I use this program I already have to
do what I want" -- not "How can I spend another bundle of money on software
I may not need".

I may be wrong -- perhaps these folks really do appreciate knowing Nisus can
solve their problems -- but your pushiness annoys the heck out of me.  And
maybe it doesn't violate netiquette, but if it doesn't, it should.

Pardon me while I go edit my kill file.

-- FLAME OFF --

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

cckweiss@pollux (11/29/90)

Rich Holmes responds to Jon Matousek's continual plugs for Nisus with
the following musical question:

Is anyone else as sick and tired as I am of seeing this BLATANT
ADVERTISING
for Nisus any time someone asks a question about MS Word??

Well, Rich, I can't give you a definitive answer to that question, since
I don't know exactly how sick and tired you are. However, I am really
goddam sick and tired of it myself. I find it particularly irritating
when there may be a way to solve the problem in Word. Nisus may be the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but when someone asks for help with
Word, it seems like they deserve the courtesy of getting some help with
Word, not an unsolicited piece of electronic junk mail.

Now, just so this post isn't pure noise, here's a handy trick I found
last night. I needed to print a legal size page out of PageMaker to my
Laserwriter IINTX. Alas, I have no legal size paper tray, and PM
refused to print the entire document even if I hand fed a sheet of legal
paper. Solution: dump the file to disk as pure PostScript (NOT EPS), and
send it to the printer using Font Downloader or equivilent. Worked like
a charm.

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu
.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (11/29/90)

In article <9355@aggie.ucdavis.edu> cckweiss@pollux writes:

>Rich Holmes responds to Jon Matousek's continual plugs for Nisus with
>the following musical question:
>
>Is anyone else as sick and tired as I am of seeing this BLATANT
>ADVERTISING
>for Nisus any time someone asks a question about MS Word??
>
>Well, Rich, I can't give you a definitive answer to that question, since
>I don't know exactly how sick and tired you are. However, I am really
>goddam sick and tired of it myself. I find it particularly irritating
>when there may be a way to solve the problem in Word. Nisus may be the
>greatest thing since sliced bread, but when someone asks for help with
>Word, it seems like they deserve the courtesy of getting some help with
>Word, not an unsolicited piece of electronic junk mail.
>
>Now, just so this post isn't pure noise, here's a handy trick I found
>last night. I needed to print a legal size page out of PageMaker to my
>Laserwriter IINTX. Alas, I have no legal size paper tray, and PM
>refused to print the entire document even if I hand fed a sheet of legal
>paper. Solution: dump the file to disk as pure PostScript (NOT EPS), and
>send it to the printer using Font Downloader or equivilent. Worked like
>a charm.
>
>Ken Weiss
>krweiss@ucdavis.edu
>.

This is just plain silly.  Whenever someone posts a question about how
to do something, if you can't do it in the program, people COMMONLY
recommend a program that can do it, or deos it better/easier/faster.
If Jon has irritated anyone, perhaps he should more blatantly point
out the standard disclaimer:

I *DO* work for Paragon.  Take my recommendations with that in mind.

So far, he has not lied or given wrong feedback (that I've seen), so
you really have no room to complain.

If he's the only one giving feedback, you should be goddamn happy
there's someone, ANYONE, who cares enough to even answer your
questions.

Some people have no sense of reality.  What do you expect, for chrissakes?

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.145957.10136@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, rsholmes@rodan (Rich Holmes) writes:
>Is anyone else as sick and tired as I am of seeing this BLATANT ADVERTISING
>for Nisus any time someone asks a question about MS Word??

I feel like I should come to Mr. Matousek's aid here.  True, telling
someone that another product will solve his or her problems isn't
always helpful -- but sometimes it is.  If you've got something that
just has to be done, and Word can't do it (or it can, but it requires
hours of tedious manual labor to set up), perhaps getting a copy of
Nisus would be a good idea.

Jon isn't selling them, you know.  You could just as well find a
friend with a copy, or perhaps a sympathetic dealer.

Let's say I asked the net:  How do I align things *precisely* in
PageMaker?  Not just by eye, but exactly.

If someone were to answer, "You can't," that would be informative,
but not very helpful.  But an answer that said, "You can't, but did
you know that both Quark and DesignStudio will let you do this?",
would tell me a little more, and maybe pique my curiousity about those
products.

Such an answer does two things.  For one, it tells me one way to solve
my problem.  For another, it lets me know that not everything out
there is PageMaker, and that there are other programs with different
-- and sometimes greater -- capabilities in certain areas.

If someone were to ask me how to turn fonts into outlines in Freehand,
I'd say that I didn't know, but that I knew you could do it in
Illustrator 3.0, and that it works like a charm, with almost no effort
at all.  It wouldn't occur to me that just because that person might
not own Illustrator 3.0 that he *wouldn't* want to hear that answer.
Perhaps he *does* own Illustrator, but just didn't realize that he
could do that!

Last point.  The Mac world has started making the unfortunate
assumption that word processing on the Mac is Word and Word is word
processing on the Mac.  It just isn't so.  I used to use Word all the
time, but having switched to Nisus I dread ever going back to it.  It
really is *that* much better.  It's one of the few products that do
some things *so* much better than its competition that it's a shame
more people don't know about it.  Things people struggle doing with
Word (or can't do at all), Nisus does with very little effort.

So, while it seems like Mr. Matousek is constantly hawking Nisus, I
think he's really just doing his best to make people aware of the
alternatives that are out there.  It's a relatively little-known and
little-used product, but it's really so good that I think people
should appreciate hearing every now and again that there are choices
other than Word for word processing tasks.  The fact that a demo is
available makes it that much more attractive, since it can be tried
without risk and at very little cost.

Hope that wasn't too long or too much of a diatribe...  By the way,
are you all too young to remember the days when all Mac fanatics did
was go around telling people, "You know, you could do that in about 2
minutes on a Mac...", no matter what the question was?  I remember
them fondly.  Nothing like constantly telling people how great a
little-known and little-used product is...  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

tj@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (11/30/90)

In article <2859@esquire.dpw.com> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>>Last point.  The Mac world has started making the unfortunate
>>assumption that word processing on the Mac is Word and Word is word
>>processing on the Mac.  It just isn't so.  I used to use Word all the
>>time, but having switched to Nisus I dread ever going back to it.  It
>>really is *that* much better.  It's one of the few products that do
>>some things *so* much better than its competition that it's a shame
>>more people don't know about it.  Things people struggle doing with
>>Word (or can't do at all), Nisus does with very little effort.

	I would love to switch from Word to Nisus; however, there are
some MAJOR features missing from Nisus.  If anyone can tell me how to
do these or if Nisus will soon support them, then I would consider the
program again.

	1. EndNote doesn't read Nisus files.  In other words, you need
to do the in-text citations to bibliography entries by hand.  This is
not acceptable.  Unless Paragon can talk Niles & Associates into
changing EndNote to directly read Nisus files, I don't think I will
ever use Nisus.

	2. Nisus doesn't have a built-in outliner.  I use Word's
outliner much too often to do without one.

	3. Nisus styles looked underpowered.  Sure you can write a
macro to keep headings on the same page as the next paragraph, but I'd
rather just click "keep with next paragraph" for the heading style.
If I want to program, I can always just continue to use LaTeX.  I also
didn't see a way to indicate space before AND space after in a
paragraph style.  You can do one, but not the other.  I also, couldn't
find a way of linking styles so that when you end a paragraph, Nisus
changes to a new style for the next.  Again, I'm sure you can write a
macro for this, but I don't want to have to write macros for everything.

	4. Nisus styles are not hierarchical.

	5. You need to use macros to number things like figures and
equations and fix the cross references.  I'd prefer auto-numbered
series as in Word 5.

	6. How do you do floating anchored figures?

	Nisus has a lot of features that Word will probably never
have, but right now Nisus is a lot like the Nisus icon: one arm is
on steroids and the other arm is missing.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (11/30/90)

>	5. You need to use macros to number things like figures and
>equations and fix the cross references.  I'd prefer auto-numbered
>series as in Word 5.

now we are bringing word for windows into this?
As far as I am concerned macro-numbering would be better
than none at all (Wake up microsoft)

The only thing that keeps me using Word 4 is the equation
typsetter  (And i think I am the only one, so we wont be
seing this in Nisus any time soon :-(

--
-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu