[comp.sys.mac.apps] Blatant Nisus

woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (11/30/90)

In article <901@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> gilmore@venice.sedd.trw.com (Larry Gilmore) writes:
>...  As far
>as I'm concerned, the whiners can edit their KILL files and stop using
>our bandwidth

Okay, once again, from the top.

	USENET is a network supported principally by the participants and
users of the network.  Most of 'em are not-for-profit universities and
government organizations; some of them are companies who compete in the
market for your dollar.

	The network etiquette is simple:  there is to be no blatant
advertising of product or services.  Why?  Because the network is a non-
for-profit organization, and it is not fair to ask the various universities
and government organizations to carry advertising.  Further, it is
technically (emphasize 'technically') illegal for such advertising to
be carried over a government network, which makes up a sizable chunk
of USENET.

	However, in a group such as this, where we are constantly discussing
products every day, the line gets a bit fuzzy.  It seems to me that the
lines should be drawn as such:

	If I ask for recommendations for a product, I should expect all
sorts of responces from "well, I dunno, but I think X is good" to "Hi.
I am here from Nessus.  I am here to help you."  This is not a problem;
after all, I asked for recommendations--I opened the floodgate for ads.
If people don't want to read the resulting ad thread, they are welcome to
kill it.

	If I ask how to do something with a product, there are three types
of responces.  The first type is the reply "oh, you do it this way".  This
is good; this is what I wanted.

	If I get a reply "well, your product can't do it, so you may have
to buy X", and the reply comes from someone who does not directly or
indirectly benefit from the profits of selling more product X, then
it is boarderline good.  It's not quite what I wanted, but it is
informative.  And it technically is not an ad as the person who told
me about X doesn't stand to profit.

	If I get a reply "well, your product can't do it, so you will need
to buy X", and the reply comes from someone who stands to profit (either
directly--a software publisher, or indirectly--they are a programmer and
their small company needs the exposure), then it is bad.  The problem here
is that by definition, that is an ad (ie: a posting for a service or
product which stands to make the poster profit).

	And in the case where a poster keeps saying "please try X" when
he stands to make a profit (either directly or indirectly), it is just
outright obnoxious -- according to my understanding of net etiquette.

				Just my 2 bits,
				-- Bill

--
	William Edward Woody		   | Disclamer:
USNAIL	P.O.Box 50986; Pasadena, CA 91115  |

fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (12/01/90)

Where do I get a free demo disk???  I would definitely like to review this
product in full functionality before I choose which word processor to migrate
to.

Thanks in advance!

--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: fc156111@seas.gwu.edu              Office of Management & Budget