[comp.sys.mac.apps] Recommendations needed on financial packages

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (11/30/90)

Greetings. My wife and I are looking for a finance package to run on
a Mac (well, my wife is actually - she's the accountant of the household).

According to her, this is what she's looking for:

   Checkbook tracking
   Budget tracking (estimated vs actual to date)
   Tax estimation
   Tax "spreadsheet" that has form creation/modification abilities
       so you don't have to buy a new package every year.
   Live Tax Spreadsheet <-> Checkbook info so data only has to
       be keyed in once.
   Checkbook reconciliation with bank statement
   Report building facility (i.e. look at all "misc" expenses, etc)
   Templates for monthly/recurring bills (i.e. a standard form to
      fill out every month with mortgage/gas/electric bills)

So, do any of you out there use a package that does much/all of this ?
If so, what ? How do you like it ? What don't you like about it ?

Your recommendations are eagerly solicited.

Thanx ! - Nick

P.S. E-mail please. If there's interest I'll summarize.
Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu

carl@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.044642.24697@csn.org> wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) writes:
>Greetings. My wife and I are looking for a finance package to run on
>a Mac (well, my wife is actually - she's the accountant of the household).
>
>According to her, this is what she's looking for:
>
>   Checkbook tracking
>   Budget tracking (estimated vs actual to date)
>   Tax estimation
>   Tax "spreadsheet" that has form creation/modification abilities
>       so you don't have to buy a new package every year.
>   Live Tax Spreadsheet <-> Checkbook info so data only has to
>       be keyed in once.
>   Checkbook reconciliation with bank statement
>   Report building facility (i.e. look at all "misc" expenses, etc)
>   Templates for monthly/recurring bills (i.e. a standard form to
>      fill out every month with mortgage/gas/electric bills)
>
>So, do any of you out there use a package that does much/all of this ?
>If so, what ? How do you like it ? What don't you like about it ?
>
>P.S. E-mail please. If there's interest I'll summarize.

I sent E-mail asking for "me too", but I thought I'd post to the net as
well because I am also looking for the ability to print checks on the
standard checks available from "Deluxe".  (I'm also open to checks made
by other vendors, but I have 300 checks [3 per page] that I want to push
though my DeskWriter.)

I don't need all the checkbook reconciliation stuff, but most of the other
features mentioned above would be nice.

I have to keep track of 1) household expenses, 2) my emerging mac software
development company expenses and 3) my wife's emerging direct-mail company
expenses.  I need to keep these things separate and would like to do it all
with one package instead of soemthing I can put together with: Word, Excel,
MacInTax, etc...

PS.  I have heard of Dollars & $ense and Quicken, but I don't know anything
about these products.  Anyone with experiences to relate.  Please E-Mail and
I will post a summary.

-Carl

--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl