[comp.sys.mac.apps] 4D - how to turn off "Print Settings" dialogs?

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (12/02/90)

I'm working on an application that prints reports.  There doesn't seem
to be any method of preventing the Print Setting dialogs from happening
every time I do "PRINT SELECTION()" even tho I invoked "PAGE SETUP()"
ahead of time.  I really don't want the user to have to deal with
dialogs every time the application tries to print a report via
"PRINT SELECTION()".

I can get around it by using "PRINT LAYOUT" but that requires a fair
amount of grunge work.  Is there any way to turn off the bloody
"Print Settings" dialogs?  Seems like I gotta be overlooking something
here.

Any help willl be much appreciated!

							-bill
							wlbrown@lbl.gov

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have nothing to do with the
    official policy or management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't care
    less about employees who play with trains.

fabio@dm.unibo.it (Fabio Vitali) (12/03/90)

In article <8343@dog.ee.lbl.gov> wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) writes:
>I'm working on an application that prints reports.  There doesn't seem
>to be any method of preventing the Print Setting dialogs from happening
>every time I do "PRINT SELECTION()" even tho I invoked "PAGE SETUP()"
>ahead of time.  I really don't want the user to have to deal with
>dialogs every time the application tries to print a report via
>"PRINT SELECTION()".

I'm new enough to the net not to know if this is the case of a nice RTFM,
neither to know if I should post this directly to you or following up into
the net. Anyway, this is what I'm doing now, and it is too late for you for
doing anything about it.

On the manual page about PRINT SELECTION the syntax of the command is pretty
clear, and it states (I'm not quoting because I have the italian version)
that if you do a
PRINT SELECTION() or a PRINT SELECTION([MyFile])
it will put up the Print Setting dialog boxes, but if you do a
PRINT SELECTION(*) or a PRINT SELECTION([MyFile];*)
it won't. Was this your problem? If so, not too difficult, isn'it?
If it wasn't, please excuse me for my rudeness.

Fabio Vitali

--

Fabio Vitali                        You don't possess me, don't impress me,
Dept of Computer Science                                Just upset my mind.

tod@parsely.uucp (Tod Oace) (12/04/90)

In article <8343@dog.ee.lbl.gov> wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) writes:
>I'm working on an application that prints reports.  There doesn't seem
>to be any method of preventing the Print Setting dialogs from happening
>every time I do "PRINT SELECTION()" even tho I invoked "PAGE SETUP()"
>ahead of time.  I really don't want the user to have to deal with
>dialogs every time the application tries to print a report via
>"PRINT SELECTION()".

Try "PRINT SELECTION(*)".  That should take care of it.
Also, when using the "*", PRINT SELECTION does the PAGE SETUP() for you,
so you don't need to do it.
Check the Language Reference manual under PRINT SELECTION for Acius's
explanation about it.

--
Tod Oace (tod@parsely.UUCP)	...!tektronix.TEK.COM!percy!parsely!tod

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (12/04/90)

Again - many thanks fortaking the time to reply.