[comp.sys.mac.apps] Controlling line spacing in Fullwrite.

pazzani@ics.uci.edu (Michael Pazzani) (12/02/90)

Is it possible to get control of line spacing in Fullwrite?  In
particular, I'd like to double space a document, and not vary the
amount of space between lines even if there is a subscript, subscript,
different font (e.g., Symbol to use greek letters and math symbols, or
even a "picture" (which is an equation pasted from Expressionist.

The "normal" double space format varies the amount of space between lines
when these symbols are used and it looks horrible.

I saw a post a while back indicating that this is possible in Word,
and I've ordered my demo copy of Nisus, but I must complete this
paper in Fullwrite.  I've already searched the obvious places in the manual.

Thanks
Mike

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (12/04/90)

In article <275824DE.28016@ics.uci.edu> pazzani@ics.uci.edu (Michael
Pazzani) writes:
> In particular, I'd like to double space a document, and not vary the
> amount of space between lines even if there is a subscript, subscript,
> different font (e.g., Symbol to use greek letters and math symbols, or
> even a "picture" (which is an equation pasted from Expressionist.
>
> The "normal" double space format varies the amount of space between lines
> when these symbols are used and it looks horrible.

Instead of using the double space item in the Format menu, use "Other...",
which is right below it. It will probably come up set to "2 lines"; change
this to a fixed spacing in points which is twice the point size of your
text, e.g., if you're working in 12 point type, set lines spacing to 24
points; it'll stick to the specified spacing come hell or high water.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (12/04/90)

From article <275824DE.28016@ics.uci.edu>, by pazzani@ics.uci.edu (Michael Pazzani):
> Is it possible to get control of line spacing in Fullwrite?  In
> particular, I'd like to double space a document, and not vary the
> amount of space between lines even if there is a subscript, subscript,
> different font (e.g., Symbol to use greek letters and math symbols, or
> even a "picture" (which is an equation pasted from Expressionist.

I believe that it is, though I have had no need to do this myself.  I don't
have my Mac in front of me, but somewhere there is a Dialog box that lets you
set the line spacing by typing a value in.  It comes up default to one line
if you're set to single space, or 2 lines in double space...

I believe that the trick would be to set the value in inches, and not "li"
as the "li" value preobably varies with font size/style, including
superscripting.  I'll check this all out tonight at home...

	- Ed Rotberg -