[comp.sys.mac.apps] Looking for encryption program for MAC

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (11/29/90)

I'm looking for a program to run on a MAC that will encrypt and/or
decrypt files.  The intent is to encrypt files before transmission through
not-very-secure e-mail facilities, then decrypt upon receipt.

The encrypted files must be able to be decrypted on IBM PCs as well as
on MACs.  That means that the encryption algorithm used by the MAC program
must be well known and documented.  I am prepared to write the necesary
program for the IBM PC, but I have no facilities for programming on a MAC.

Ideally, it would use DES CBC encryption (CBC means Cipher Block Chaining).
A program that does what the **IX (Sun) DES program does would be fine.

If you have, or know of, a program that meets my needs, please send me
e-mail about it.  I don't read this newsgroup regularly.  However,
in fairness to you who DO read this group regularly, I promise to be a good
net.citizen and post a summary of any positive relpies to this news group.

Please e-mail replies to the address below.  Thanks in advance.
Nelson Bolyard      nelson@sgi.COM      {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/04/90)

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:

>I'm looking for a program to run on a MAC that will encrypt and/or

>The encrypted files must be able to be decrypted on IBM PCs as well as
>on MACs.

>Ideally, it would use DES CBC encryption (CBC means Cipher Block Chaining).
>A program that does what the **IX (Sun) DES program does would be fine.

There is a program in the archives called UTIL/DES-ENCRYPTION.HQX
but does not work on an IBM.

FOR THE DES EXPERTS.  Will DES encoded files be decoded by any
des decoding tool?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =