[comp.sys.mac.apps] Dangers of the renumbering command in MS Word

jacek@munnari.oz.au (Jacek Gibert) (12/05/90)

This is to warn all users of this package about a flaw in the paragraph
renumbering command (the Utilities menu).  The renumbering command
places a sequential numbering format at the start of each paragraph, where the
paragraph commences with a particular pattern of characters or numbers.
The problem seems to be that Word's paragraph renumbering procedure
looks for a pattern of characters in a way which is too general, with the result
that the start of a paragraph may be replaced by sequential numbers when this
is not desired.  For example, the starting text of a paragraph commencing
with (x-1) will be replaced by a sequential number under the renumbering
command.  Other examples are as follows -

1(y*5))		This paragraph started with "(x+(y*5))" before renumbering.
2 (one) dollar	This paragraph started with "1 (one) dollar" before renumbering.
3 sale		This paragraph started with "4 sale" before renumbering.

Paragraph numbering should be part of a paragraph style, as is done for example
in FrameMaker, rather than defined by a series of characters in some pattern at
the start of the paragraph (MICROSOFT DEVELOPERS SHOULD TAKE NOTE!).

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (12/05/90)

jacek@munnari.oz.au (Jacek Gibert) writes:

>This is to warn all users of this package about a flaw in the paragraph
>renumbering command (the Utilities menu).  The renumbering command
[stuff deleted]
>Paragraph numbering should be part of a paragraph style, as is done for example
>in FrameMaker, rather than defined by a series of characters in some pattern at
>the start of the paragraph (MICROSOFT DEVELOPERS SHOULD TAKE NOTE!).

I write my stuff using Word's outlining mode. Then I show only levels 1-4 and
choose renumber. This way only my key paragraphs get numbered, and it
corresponds exactly to my document's organization.

This is also a good way to get different styles of numbering. For example, show
1-4 and use 1. as the style and renumber, then show 1-3 and use style 1.1.1.
You wind up with the fourth level only having one number instead of some mile-
long string of digits.

Mark Lanett

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (12/06/90)

In article <6179@munnari.oz.au> jacek@munnari.oz.au (Jacek Gibert) writes:
> Word's paragraph renumbering procedure
> looks for a pattern of characters in a way which is too general, with
the result
> that the start of a paragraph may be replaced by sequential numbers when
this
> is not desired.

Ya know, I just ran into this for the first time, about a half-hour ago.
Someone suggested renumbering in outline mode, so that only headers are
processed; but my problem occured in a header. The header text began with
"C++" and the initial "C+" was replaced by the paragraph number. :-( I got
around it by just typing the "C+" back in afterwards.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."