[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word problem with indentation and ascii files

whenry@lindy.stanford.edu (homo obsolescensis) (12/05/90)

When you create a text that involves indentation (either by setting
the ruler, or command-shift N|T|etc) and then SAVE AS TEXT ONLY (with
or without line breaks), word removes all the indentation from the
file.  Is there no way save a file as ascii and retain at least the
simpler formatting.  Alternately, is there any way to PRINT to file
and if so, would that do the trick?

I did RTFM with no luck (TFI(index), btw reaks).

Thanks in advance,
Walter Henry

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.191422.5384@portia.Stanford.EDU> whenry@lindy.stanford.edu (homo obsolescensis) writes:
>When you create a text that involves indentation (either by setting
>the ruler, or command-shift N|T|etc) and then SAVE AS TEXT ONLY (with
>or without line breaks), word removes all the indentation from the
>file.  Is there no way save a file as ascii and retain at least the
>simpler formatting.  Alternately, is there any way to PRINT to file
>and if so, would that do the trick?

You can insert a tab that will carry through the text only conversion.
A tab is a character, setting the indent via the ruler is a formatting
change, which, like all formatting, will be stripped out on a text
only save.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/07/90)

whenry@lindy.stanford.edu (homo obsolescensis) writes:

>When you create a text that involves indentation (either by setting
>the ruler, or command-shift N|T|etc) and then SAVE AS TEXT ONLY (with
>or without line breaks), word removes all the indentation from the
>file.  Is there no way save a file as ascii and retain at least the
>simpler formatting.  Alternately, is there any way to PRINT to file
>and if so, would that do the trick?

As someone else pointed out, indentation *distance* is a formatting change
and can not be saved in ASCII.  However, you have two options:
* indent using tabs, which are saved in ASCII, and set the indent distance
  again in the program to which you've exported Word's text.
* again, indent using tabs, and globally replace them with a desired number of
  spaces.  This is especially helpful if you do not have control over the
  tab settings when your exported text is read (for example, when you're
  posting on the net, using an online host's faxmodem link, etc.).

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)