[comp.sys.mac.apps] going from

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) (12/05/90)

Hey folks.  I'm writing an excel macro to partition a mailing list into
manageable chunks of addresses.

What I can't figure out is how to take a macro name (as defined by
SET.NAME), and turn it into a cell reference.  I want to go to each
row, look if it has a certain characteristic, and then copy it to
another file.  You can do the first part with INDEX(), but the second
needs to be done with SELECT(), and SELECT() needs a cell reference.
I want the cell reference corresponding to row "yrow", columns 1
through 4.

How can I do it?  And if you know, is there a "Inside Mac DA" style
reference to Excel's macros?
							--Alan

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/07/90)

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) writes:

>Hey folks.  I'm writing an excel macro to partition a mailing list into
>manageable chunks of addresses.

>What I can't figure out is how to take a macro name (as defined by
>SET.NAME), and turn it into a cell reference.  I want to go to each
>row, look if it has a certain characteristic, and then copy it to
>another file.  You can do the first part with INDEX(), but the second
>needs to be done with SELECT(), and SELECT() needs a cell reference.
>I want the cell reference corresponding to row "yrow", columns 1
>through 4.

>How can I do it?  And if you know, is there a "Inside Mac DA" style
>reference to Excel's macros?
>							--Alan

Here is a sample macro that works:

ExampleMacro
=SELECT(!E4)
=SET.NAME("myname",ACTIVE.CELL())
=SELECT(!A1)
=SELECT(myname)
=HALT()

SELECT(myname) has the effect of selecting !E4 again.

The reason your attempt failed is probably that you included
quotes when passing the name of the location to the SELECT() function.

As far as an online macro directory goes, try
Heizer Software
(800)888-7667
(415)943-7667

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)