[comp.sys.mac.apps] NORTON or SUMII, which to buy??

preuss@amazon.llnl.gov (12/01/90)

H E L P ! !

	I need some input on which utility to buy.

S.U.M.II is established in the MAC world as a very good utililty, btu the
brochure on the NORTON UTILITIES looks very good also.
Does anyone out there in NETLAND have a opinion on either product or which one
is the best?

This is my fist attempt at posting I hope it makes it!

Thank you in advance, Scott

ccocswr@prism.gatech.EDU (Winston Rast (Micro- coop)) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.111604.1@amazon.llnl.gov> preuss@amazon.llnl.gov writes:

>S.U.M.II is established in the MAC world as a very good utililty, btu the
>brochure on the NORTON UTILITIES looks very good also.
>Does anyone out there in NETLAND have a opinion on either product or which one
>is the best?

I have used both and have found that Norton is easier and more fun to use.  SUM
II does have partitioning abilities but I don't particularly think software
partitions are the way to go.  Norton has more utilities too.  And from what
I've heard, more people prefer Norton to SUM II.  If more people prefer Norton,
guess which one Symantec is going to push more?  I'd get Norton...

>This is my fist attempt at posting I hope it makes it!

It did.

>Thank you in advance, Scott

Your welcome in advance, Winston

Winston Rast
ccocswr@prism.gatech.edu

--
-|  Winston M. Rast        \\     Ever seen a low-cost color Mac?|     -
-|  GA Tech Computer Tech   \\      Neither have I.  Well, maybe.|k|..   -

rose@koko.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (12/01/90)

preuss@amazon.llnl.gov writes:
>	I need some input on which utility to buy.
>S.U.M.II is established in the MAC world as a very good utililty, btu the
>brochure on the NORTON UTILITIES looks very good also.
>Does anyone out there in NETLAND have a opinion on either product or which one
>is the best?

While we're on the subject, how do the backup of facilities of
these two compare with, say, Mac Tools?  (In particular, do
they support incremental backups, compression, etc.?)

--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu

peterm@dna.lth.se (Peter M|ller) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.111604.1@amazon.llnl.gov> preuss@amazon.llnl.gov writes:
>H E L P ! !
>
>	I need some input on which utility to buy.
>
>S.U.M.II is established in the MAC world as a very good utililty, btu the
>brochure on the NORTON UTILITIES looks very good also.
>Does anyone out there in NETLAND have a opinion on either product or which one
>is the best?
>
>This is my fist attempt at posting I hope it makes it!
>
>Thank you in advance, Scott

If you are to buy ONE product for file recovery, that is "1st Disk Aid". We
have all three packages here, and I have tried them all against the same
problems. "1st Disk Aid" is, beyond doubt, the best of them all. (If you
buy "1st Aid Kit DeLuxe" you'll also get "Complete Undelete" - a wonderful
cdev that allows you to 'undelete' deleted files, all in the cdev.

I don't want to insult the people at symantec, but compared to 1AK, SUM II is
really ugly.

Norton is a good buy (I'm very impressed by such a good working product at
version 1.0!), but again, not as good as 1AK.

What you dont get in 1AK: defragmentation of the disk. Consider buying
"DiskExpress II" - a really great product!

Hope this helps!

Peter M|ller
Work: Lund Inst. of Technology, Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden, +46 -46 104 929
Home: Rudeboksv. 40, S-222 54 LUND, Sweden, +46 -46 32 05 22
                          "Those where the days"    (Sv: "Det var b{ttre f|rr")

phil@waikato.ac.nz (12/04/90)

In article <rose.660007742@koko>, rose@koko.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) writes:
> preuss@amazon.llnl.gov writes:
>>	I need some input on which utility to buy.
>>S.U.M.II is established in the MAC world as a very good utililty, btu the
>>brochure on the NORTON UTILITIES looks very good also.
>>Does anyone out there in NETLAND have a opinion on either product or which one
>>is the best?
>
> While we're on the subject, how do the backup of facilities of
> these two compare with, say, Mac Tools?  (In particular, do
> they support incremental backups, compression, etc.?)

As far as I'm aware, Norton doesn't have a backup Utility.

There are different ulilities offered by each product, so it depends upon what
you want.  SUM II has Encryption, Backup, Quick Copy, and Hard Disk Partition
(of debatable value -- I use it successfully).  Norton has other goodies that
SUM II doesn't have.  I posted a full list about a month ago.  I can email it
or if flooded with requests, repost.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/06/90)

In article <2427.275b9034@waikato.ac.nz>, phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> There are different ulilities offered by each product, so it depends upon what
> you want.  SUM II has Encryption, Backup, Quick Copy, and Hard Disk Partition
> (of debatable value -- I use it successfully).

Due to the STUPID American export restrictions, "international" versions
of SUM-II don't have the encryption utility. Of course, this in no way
lowered the price I paid (around $180).

> Norton has other goodies that
> SUM II doesn't have.  I posted a full list about a month ago.  I can email it
> or if flooded with requests, repost.

I would like to see a list of NU's features - I missed the list.

--
Nick Rothwell,  Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

nrf@cbnewsh.att.com (neal.r.fildes) (12/07/90)

From article <3056@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):
> In article <2427.275b9034@waikato.ac.nz>, phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>> There are different ulilities offered by each product, so it depends upon what
>> you want.  SUM II has Encryption, Backup, Quick Copy, and Hard Disk Partition
>> (of debatable value -- I use it successfully).

one interesting fact as far as disk recovery is concerned: SUMII is the only
package I have found that can work on a crashed FS on my Mirror Megafloppy when
the FS is damaged in sucha way as to not be mountable. SUMII uses a memorized configuration
to work on such a disk. with 911 utilities, the eject or format" dialog keeps
coming up every time I insert a ad disk
NRF