[comp.sys.mac.apps] Joke or Virus?

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) (12/05/90)

I received an unusual dialog error message yesterday and was wondering if
it was truly an error - or maybe a virus. I was running an application
(Diskfit - backup utility), when a dialog box was displayed that had a
bomb in it, the following message: "Sorry a critiical shortage of memory
has forced this program to be terminated. Please assign blame below:",
four check boxes (labeled: programmer, user, hardware, cosmic rays), and
a default button labeled "Finder").

Is this a Diskfit error, a system error, a virus - someones idea of a joke?

At the time I didn't think it was very funny, since I had just backed up
about 45MB of 55MB to floppies.

Anyone know?

        Darryn Kozak

        3M Center
        260-4A-08
        St. Paul, MN 55144

        phone:          612-733-3271
        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
        FAX:            612-737-3213

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/07/90)

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) writes:

>I received an unusual dialog error message yesterday and was wondering if
>it was truly an error - or maybe a virus. I was running an application
>(Diskfit - backup utility), when a dialog box was displayed that had a
>bomb in it, the following message: "Sorry a critiical shortage of memory
>has forced this program to be terminated. Please assign blame below:",
>four check boxes (labeled: programmer, user, hardware, cosmic rays), and
>a default button labeled "Finder").

>Is this a Diskfit error, a system error, a virus - someones idea of a joke?

>At the time I didn't think it was very funny, since I had just backed up
>about 45MB of 55MB to floppies.

>Anyone know?

>        Darryn Kozak

>        3M Center
>        260-4A-08
>        St. Paul, MN 55144

>        phone:          612-733-3271
>        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
>        FAX:            612-737-3213

I think it's part of the program.  I remember reading about it in one
of the magazines.

chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Chapman) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.153445.7094@mmm.serc.3m.com> us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) writes:
>I received an unusual dialog error message yesterday and was wondering if
>it was truly an error - or maybe a virus. I was running an application
>(Diskfit - backup utility), when a dialog box was displayed that had a
>bomb in it, the following message: "Sorry a critiical shortage of memory
>has forced this program to be terminated. Please assign blame below:",
>four check boxes (labeled: programmer, user, hardware, cosmic rays), and
>a default button labeled "Finder").
>
>Is this a Diskfit error, a system error, a virus - someones idea of a joke?
>
>At the time I didn't think it was very funny, since I had just backed up
>about 45MB of 55MB to floppies.
>
>Anyone know?

    Although I don't use DiskFit, I suspect that the program ran out of
memory.  When a program tries to allocate memory and for one reason or
another it can't, it gets a message back to that effect.  It's then up to the
program to cope with the situation as well as it can.  Unfortunately, running
out of memory is difficult to handle easily without greatly complicating
matters and so programs typically just halt whatever they're doing and tell
you.

    The dialog box you got, IMHO, was the programer having a bit of fun in
the middle of the night.  It's probably not a virus.
--
-= Paul Chapman -=- chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca -=- pc@ac.dal.ca (BitNet) =-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Put Humourous Quote of Your Choice Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec5.153445.7094@mmm.serc.3m.com>, us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) writes:
> I received an unusual dialog error message yesterday and was wondering if
> it was truly an error - or maybe a virus. I was running an application
> (Diskfit - backup utility), when a dialog box was displayed that had a
> bomb in it, the following message: "Sorry a critiical shortage of memory
> has forced this program to be terminated. Please assign blame below:",
> four check boxes (labeled: programmer, user, hardware, cosmic rays), and
> a default button labeled "Finder").
>
> Is this a Diskfit error, a system error, a virus - someones idea of a joke?

Apparently it's a joke.  The alert that you got is ID 291 - I just went looking
into DiskFit with ResEdit and found exactly the dialog that you describe.

> At the time I didn't think it was very funny, since I had just backed up
> about 45MB of 55MB to floppies.

Maybe they should have included a smiley...   :-)

Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "This message contains wit, sophistication, class,
(UK) 051-794-3689       style, and 3 other words I don't understand as well..."