[net.music] Art of Noise, Laurie Anderson, Klaus Schulze

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/22/85)

> From: mwg8908@ritcv.UUCP (mwg8908)

> As far as the Art of Noise goes, I actually like Beatbox and Close to
> the Edit as well as falling asleep to Moments in Love.

Okay, "Beatbox" is pretty good too, but "Moments in Love" is totally
boring.  I guess if you want to go to sleep, though....

> I have also heard ALL of Laurie Anderson's albums (at least, all that
> can be found here) and, although she takes some repeat listenings to
> get accustomed to, I rate her an A+ all around.  Very interresting
> stuff.

Absolutely!  She's also done some other stuff on the "Dial-A-Poem"
records and is on an album "You're the Man I Want To Share My Money
With" (or something like that) with Willian Burrroughs and someone else.
I haven't heard any of these, though (yet!).  Has anyone heard any of
this stuff?  How is it?

> I'm always trying to find more good instrumental, synthesized,
> interresting type music.

Listen to Klaus Schulze's album "Trancefer".  It's completely awesome
and very mind-altering even without the help of illicit chemicals!

				"It's not the bullet that kills --
				 It's the hole"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

pz@emacs.uucp (Paul Czarnecki) (07/30/85)

In article <4753@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> I have also heard ALL of Laurie Anderson's albums (at least, all that
>> can be found here) and, although she takes some repeat listenings to
>> get accustomed to, I rate her an A+ all around.  Very interresting
>> stuff.
>
>Absolutely!  She's also done some other stuff on the "Dial-A-Poem"
>records and is on an album "You're the Man I Want To Share My Money
>With" (or something like that) with Willian Burrroughs and someone else.
>I haven't heard any of these, though (yet!).  Has anyone heard any of
>this stuff?  How is it?

The album is indeed called "You the Man I Want To Share My Money With"
and it is on the Giorno Poetry Systems label.  The third person is, of
course, John Giorno, "noted" poet/performance artist?/strange person.
He name is usually mentioned in the same breath as Burroughs and
Ginsberg.  His (Giorno's) technique is to tape record his "poems" n
different times and play them back all at the same time while he also
recites the stuff live.  Most memorable of his lines to me at least is:

  I don't NEED, I don't WANT it, and you CHEATED me outa it!

He also seems pretty heavy on repetition, banal events, and unusual
accents on his words.

  I was STANDing at the kitchen sink washing the dinner dishes with a
  PLAStic sponge.

  I'd rather stay home and watch tv than go out with ANYbody i know.

  ANGer, ANGer, ANGer...

I heard a nice funk track superimposed upon the above "kitchen" poem by
a local Philadelphia band called the "Junior Mints".  (Actually, some
friends of mine)  Really filled it out some.

I really wouldn't recommend Giorno except to hardcore weirdness freaks.
I myself don't like him too much.  He is only good for an occasional
giggle and he makes Laurie Anderson sound Top 40.

The album (YtMIWtSMMW :-) is a double album.  Laurie gets side 1,
William, side 2, John, side 3, and they all get side four.  Yup, side 4,
is 3 concentric spirals, each about 5 minutes long.

The music (by Laurie) is much more sparse than her later albums.  Think
of a non trendy Laurie Anderson with no money.  She couldn't afford a
gizillion synths or anything.  I don't have the album in front of me but
I'll make a stab at remembering them all.  "Doctor Miller" is very sharp
and percusive, with a pager-beep used.  "Closed Circuits" is a very
eerie long slow piece Lots of soft electronic sounds here.  "Drums" is
30 seconds of sharp percussion.  It is repeated on side 4.  There is a
thin version of "Born, Never Asked" also.  And we must not forget "And
It Was Up in the Mountains" and "Stucturalist Filmaking" both of which
(I think) are on the Live set.  The last two are good funny stories.
"SF" has some extremely hoky department store muzak in the background.

I recommend the set only if you are a big Anderson fan.  It is needed to
complete a collection, but it should not be the first item.

Oh yeah, Kate Bush.

					"They saw a snail inside"
					pZ
--
-- Laying here, Lyin' in bed.

   Paul Czarnecki
   Uniworks			decvax!{wanginst!infinet, cca}!emacs!pz
   20 William Street		emacs!pz@cca-unix.ARPA
   Wellesley, MA 02181		(617) 235-2600

pz@emacs.uucp (Paul Czarnecki) (07/31/85)

In article <131@emacs.uucp> pz@emacs.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:
>The album is indeed called "You the Man I Want To Share My Money With"

I did mean to say "You're the Man I Want..."

>I really wouldn't recommend Giorno except to hardcore weirdness freaks.
>I myself don't like him too much.  He is only good for an occasional
>giggle and he makes Laurie Anderson sound Top 40.

I must retract some of the statements I made in yesterdays posting.  I
had only listened to Giorno a little bit.  I made the attempt and
listened again last night and I am impressed.  He has a very sharp and
pointed wit that he uses well.  He also knows how to use (or knows
somebody who knows how to use) the technolgoy of his tape recorders
etc...  He can generate some extremely interesting sounds.  Actually,
looking at the album notes (see below) it is unclear exactly what a live
performance is like.  And how much of the tape is done in the studio.

Still not a must listen yet, and not an often listen yet, but he is a
serious listen.

>The album (YtMIWtSMMW :-) is a double album.  Laurie gets side 1,
>William, side 2, John, side 3, and they all get side four.  Yup, side 4,
>is 3 concentric spirals, each about 5 minutes long.

Album notes:

Side 1:		Laurie Anderson
Dr. Miller -- synthesizer, percussion, & PA: LA; Saxophone: Perry
Hoberman -- co-written by LA and PH -- produced and engineered with Roma
Baran (Biscuit Productions)

It Was Up In the Mountains -- Read by Paul from L.A.

Drums -- From _United States Part II_, Drums: Wharton Tiers

Closed Circuits -- From _United States Part I_, for microphone stand
turned through harmonizer & wood block

Born, Never Asked -- From _United States Part I_, Farisa, handclaps,
violin and marimba

Side 2:		John Giorno

I Don't Need It, I Don't Want It, and You Cheated Me Out Of It. --
Recorded on "The Red Night," tour in L.A. on May 9, 1981, Sanra Cruz on
May 13, Minneapolis on March22, and at ZBS Media, Fort Miller, NY on
June 4,5,6 1981.

Completely Attached to Delusion -- Recorded at ZBS Media, NY, on January
19,20,21 1981

Side 3:		William Burroughs

Introducing John Stanly Hart; He Entered the Bar With the Best
Intentions -- from _Ah Pook is Here_

Twilight Last Gleaming

My Protagonist Kim Carson -- from _The Place of Dead Roads_

Salt Chunk Mary; Like Mr. Hart, Kim Has A Dark Side to His Character --
from _tPoDR_

Progressive Education -- from _tPoDR_

The Wild Fruits -- from _tPoDR_

The Unworthy Vessell -- from _Nova Express_

Record on "The Red Night Tour" similiar dates/places as before.

Side 4:		LA, JG, WB

For Electronic Dogs -- from _US Part II_; Violin and electronics: LA;
Drums: WT
Struturalist Filmaking -- from _Dark Dogs, American Dreams_
Drums -- same as above

The Name is Clem Snide -- from _Cities of the Red Night_
Mr. Hart Couldn't Hear the Word Death -- from _APiH_

Excerpt from Put Your Ear To Stone &  Open Your Heart To The Sky -- ZBS
Media etc...

Produced by JG and Greg Shifrin, Associate Producer: James Grauerholz.

There is an interesting note in a little corner of the Album -- "This
production was made possible from the National Endowment for the Arts,
The New York State Council on the Arts, and Stanley and Elsie Grinstein"
(and your local public broadcasting station, and Exxon, and Beatrice
ARRRGGHHHhhhhh :-)  It good to see my tax dollars going to some benefit
instead of <insert favorite govt flame here>.

The address of Giorno Poetry Systems Records is:
	Giorno Poetry Systems Institute
	222 Bowery, New York, N.Y. 10012
	USA

The piece _For Electronic Dogs_ is the only one I missed in my last
posting.  It is very rhythmic and sharp with dogs (electronic??) barking
in the background.

Also note the reference to _Dark Dogs, American Dreams_, where did this
come from?  The narrator in this vignette is not LA, but an unidentified
male.  It is not "Paul from L.A." either.  Has anyone seen other
references to this album/piece/series/cookbook?

					"I'm waiting for help from above"
					pZ