[comp.sys.mac.apps] I want an h-bar!!!

gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) (12/10/90)

Hi there!
   A lot of the things I write need to have an h-bar symbol:

     h-bar = Planck's constant/(2 Pi) for non-quantum people.

  Symbol font doesn't seem to have that particular symbol, nor do any other
fonts that I have seen.  I have created one in my MS Word glossary, but it
looks absolutely nothing like an h-bar, and I'd really like to start working
on my thesis.  Does anyone know of any font that does h-bar's, and if so,
where can I get a copy of it?

   Thanks in advance,
       --Dan

At least my fridge works.                      gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec10.035502.11885@agate.berkeley.edu> gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) writes:
> Hi there!
> A lot of the things I write need to have an h-bar symbol:

> h-bar = Planck's constant/(2 Pi) for non-quantum people.

> Symbol font doesn't seem to have that particular symbol, nor do any other
> fonts that I have seen.  I have created one in my MS Word glossary, but it
> looks absolutely nothing like an h-bar, and I'd really like to start working
> on my thesis.  Does anyone know of any font that does h-bar's, and if so,
> where can I get a copy of it?

The Belont font that Design Science uses for MathType has the h-bar.
I'm sure that the font is proprietary but you could get in touch with
them and see if it's possible to get.
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.035502.11885@agate.berkeley.edu> gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) writes:
>   A lot of the things I write need to have an h-bar symbol:
>
>     h-bar = Planck's constant/(2 Pi) for non-quantum people.
>
>  Symbol font doesn't seem to have that particular symbol, nor do any other
>fonts that I have seen.  I have created one in my MS Word glossary, but it
>looks absolutely nothing like an h-bar, and I'd really like to start working
>on my thesis.  Does anyone know of any font that does h-bar's, and if so,
>where can I get a copy of it?

Word has a formula command that lets you build characters from
existing characters by laying one on top of the other.  For example,
to Overwrite one character by another, type

	\O(-,h)

where the backslash is really a command-option-\ control sequence
which appears on the screen as .\ .  But this is only the beginnings
of what you're calling h-bar.  I say that because you're going to
have to play with the vertical (and maybe horizontal) spacing until
it looks just right.  For example, you could try

	\O(\S\ai-3\up3(-),h)

which moves the hyphen 3 points upward without disrupting interline
spacing, or you could use the Times overbar character obtained by
typing shift-option-<.  (Remember, there are at least three "hyphens"
in every font:  the regular hyphen, en-dash, and em-dash.)

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) (12/11/90)

Enough people requested the same information that I thought I'd post some of
the better solutions.
The Belmont font used by MathType does have an h-bar.

Mihran Tuceryan
email: tuceryan@cps.msu.edu

This is true, but if you try to print on a networked laserwriter that has not
had the Belmont font installed, all of the equations come out as MATHTYPE
CANNOT FIND THE BELMONT FONT.  Also, as Jose Suarez(suarez@as.arizona.edu)
pointed out, glueing h-bars from mathtype into the body of your text (single
spaced) runs into a baseline overhang problem that makes the line spacing
look atrocious.
In Word, use 	cmd-opt-\Xcmd-opt-\TO(REPLACE)    which puts only the top
of the bounding box over the character...

Erik O'Shaughnessy
eoshough@nmsu.edu

Note: I tried this, but alas, it resembles an h-bar only slightly.
In Word, use   \O(\S\ai-3\up3(-),h)  or  \O(\S\ai-3\up3(/),h)  which
overstrikes the character with either - or /  (This is what I use now.).

Tom Scavo, et.al.
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

Like I said, this doesn't look much like the h-bars that can be found in the
chemistry/physics literature, but perhaps this is the best/easiest way to go
for now.
A number of other people suggested using ResEdit to create the character in
an unused key combination.  That will work if I intend to print only to
ImageWriters, etc., but I need to laser print eventually.  Perhaps the question
I need to ask now is:  How can I get our lab's networked laserwriter to "know
about" the Belmont font?

          --Dan

My cat purrs only when I look at it              gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/11/90)

When using MS Word, remember to set the line spacing as a
negative number, i.e., -19 points, not 19 points. This will set
the line spacing to an absolute value, so the program will not
increase the height if something in that line is taller than
the standard height. By using this feature, one can set line
spacing to -19 points, and superscript (or subscript) 25 points
and the line will stay the same height as all the others, but the
character superscripted (or subscripted) will print over anything
that exists at that point in the line above.

It is then possible to use something like MacDraw to create a composite
"character" based on the font you use, and then add/draw the "bar" to
look like the physics textbooks. By entering this new creature to your
glossary, you will have it available as needed in your work.

Good luck.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.035502.11885@agate.berkeley.edu>,
   gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) writes:
> Hi there!
>    A lot of the things I write need to have an h-bar symbol:
>
>      h-bar = Planck's constant/(2 Pi) for non-quantum people.
>
>   Symbol font doesn't seem to have that particular symbol, nor do any other
> fonts that I have seen.  I have created one in my MS Word glossary, but it
> looks absolutely nothing like an h-bar, and I'd really like to start working
> on my thesis.  Does anyone know of any font that does h-bar's, and if so,
> where can I get a copy of it?

Yes, this used to drive me crazy too.  I tried every combination under the
sun, until I realized at last what was wrong with every one of them.  I
was overdoing the bar.  In fact it doesn't even have to be a bar.  In the
proper context, people will accept an h with any old thingy on it as an
h-bar, just as long as the thingy is SMALL.  If you look carefully,
textbooks differ a lot on the symbol they use for h-bar.  In some of them
the bar is slanted, but in others it is perfectly horizontal.

What works for me is an overstrike of h with an acute accent.  And then put
the whole thing in Times Italic.  (Don't expect it to look right on the
screen, of course.)

--
--Bill Kinnersley

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.221136.6559@agate.berkeley.edu> gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) writes:
   The Belmont font used by MathType does have an h-bar.

[stuff deleted]

   Also, as Jose Suarez(suarez@as.arizona.edu) pointed out, glueing
   h-bars from mathtype into the body of your text (single spaced) runs
   into a baseline overhang problem that makes the line spacing look
   atrocious.

[stuff deleted]

   Erik O'Shaughnessy
   eoshough@nmsu.edu

[stuff deleted]

This is the infamous MS Word ignore-the-baseline-info-in-the-clipboard
bug which is further complicated by the "improvement" in Word 4 where
PICTs are vertically enlarged when super/subscripted. I had numerous
correspondences with Microsoft over a period of months and their final
conclusion was that it was Design Science's (MathType) fault. It was
of little consequence that Expressionalist also suffered the same
problem and other word processors (e.g. WriteNow, Nisus) DID use the
baseline information and worked fine with equation editors.

Basically they said "We're so damn big, we don't give a shit!" Okay,
it's not a quote but that was certainly how it ended.

My final conclusion was to switch to Nisus.
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (12/12/90)

You could always do your thesis in TeX.  One of its standard fonts has an
h-bar.  :-)
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/12/90)

In article <HEDSTROM.90Dec11103847@pollux.UVic.CA> hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:
>In article <1990Dec10.221136.6559@agate.berkeley.edu> gezelter@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Gezelter) writes:
>   The Belmont font used by MathType does have an h-bar.
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>   Also, as Jose Suarez(suarez@as.arizona.edu) pointed out, glueing
>   h-bars from mathtype into the body of your text (single spaced) runs
>   into a baseline overhang problem that makes the line spacing look
>   atrocious.
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>   Erik O'Shaughnessy
>   eoshough@nmsu.edu
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>This is the infamous MS Word ignore-the-baseline-info-in-the-clipboard
>bug which is further complicated by the "improvement" in Word 4 where
>PICTs are vertically enlarged when super/subscripted. I had numerous
>correspondences with Microsoft over a period of months and their final
>conclusion was that it was Design Science's (MathType) fault. It was
>of little consequence that Expressionalist also suffered the same
>problem and other word processors (e.g. WriteNow, Nisus) DID use the
>baseline information and worked fine with equation editors.

Why blast Microsoft when they built into their program, from at least
version 3.00x days, a way to control line spacing and character positon?

>Basically they said "We're so damn big, we don't give a shit!" Okay,
>it's not a quote but that was certainly how it ended.

Are you going to take on Apple/Claris for marketing an academic
word processor that did not provide for any kind of footnoting. Even
in MacWrite II the program designers did not provide for a way to
easily format the appearance of footnotes.

>Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
>Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
>UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

I'm sorry, but I have no tolerance for Microsoft bashing when the
other programs out there have less features than Word, and when people
don't want to learn Word to use the features it has to work around
the shortcomings of the program. [Now if only Word would give me
spacing control in increments of 1/1,000 of an M space.]

--

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.214636.3441@midway.uchicago.edu> xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
> Why blast Microsoft when they built into their program, from at least
> version 3.00x days, a way to control line spacing and character positon?

I'm not "blasting" that feature, although WriteNow has always had
character position control. It's the way that MS handles it in 4.0;
which differs from 3.0. It's difficult to explain and is a case where
a picture is worth 1k words. But here goes.

Let's say you have 14 pt line spacing, some 12 pt text, and you wish
to past in a small PICT in line. We'll assume that this PICT should be
partially below the baseline, which is often the case with MathType
and Expressionalist.

base line 1 -----------------------------------------------------

	                                pasted
	  some text going happily along       PICT rest of line
base line 2 -----------------------------------------------------

base line 3 -----------------------------------------------------

Now you want to subscript the pasted PICT so the 'pasted' is on the
baseline. As you can see from my hi-res graphics, the line spacing
between lines 1 and 2 is greater than that between 2 and 3. This is
due to the presence of the pasted PICT. Now when we subscript the PICT

base line 1 -----------------------------------------------------

	  some text going happily along pasted      rest of line
base line 2 -----------------------------------PICT--------------

base line 3 -----------------------------------------------------

the line spacing is still greater between 1 & 2 than 2 & 3. This does
not make sense! The top of the PICT frame has been lowered and does
not now require the extra space. When the PICT is subscripted, Word
vertically extends the PICT frame so that it takes more vertical space
than necessary. This only happens in 4.0 and not 3.0. Try it!

So the workaround is to set the line spacing as a negative number.
This causes some undesirable side effects.

>>Basically they said "We're so damn big, we don't give a shit!" Okay,
>>it's not a quote but that was certainly how it ended.

> Are you going to take on Apple/Claris for marketing an academic
> word processor that did not provide for any kind of footnoting. Even
> in MacWrite II the program designers did not provide for a way to
> easily format the appearance of footnotes.

At least they would probably admit that it does not have footnoting.

> I'm sorry, but I have no tolerance for Microsoft bashing when the
> other programs out there have less features than Word, and when people
> don't want to learn Word to use the features it has to work around
                      ??????????????????????????????????????????????
> the shortcomings of the program. [Now if only Word would give me
  ???????????????????????????????
> spacing control in increments of 1/1,000 of an M space.]

I'm just saying that it would be nice for MS to acknowledge that these
problems. They basically told my that Word was perfect (not
WordPerfect ;-)) and not to bother them anymore. It would be nice if
they even admitted changing the PICT handling between v3 and v4!
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

sarwate@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Dilip V. Sarwate) (12/13/90)

I believe that the shareware Princeton font has a h-bar symbol among its hidden
goodies; the "dead keystroke" option-` followed by the letter u gives an h with
a stroke through the riser.  When the file Princ that come with the font is
placed in the System Folder, the Postscript description of the font is
painlessly downloaded as and when necessary to a Laserwriter.

From the documentation (dated 1986; your mileage may vary) . . .
"It is our intention to allow distribution of this Princeton font disk freely
for non-commercial use.  If you use this laser font as an individual and like it
we request that you send $30 voluntary contribution to Department of Mechanical
& Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 and mark
"Princeton Font" on the envelope. If you want to have this laser font for your
office Laserwriter such that everyone using that Laserwriter would have access
to it, we request that you send $100. You may make copies and distribute this
disk but you may not sell this disk."

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/13/90)

In article <HEDSTROM.90Dec12100203@pollux.UVic.CA> hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:

>	[stuff deleted where I "defended" Microsoft and Mr. Hedstrom
	replies with an example of a problem with line spacing:]

>So the workaround is to set the line spacing as a negative number.
>This causes some undesirable side effects.

Such as?????????

In any scenario I can figure out, you have line spacing that is exactly
what it should be, and the graphic(s) superscripting and subscripting
will not budge it.