[comp.sys.mac.apps] How is SUM II's backup utility?

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (12/13/90)

I'm still trying to pick between SUM II and Norton, and wonder if
anyone has any comments on SUM II's backup feature?  In particular,
does it allow backup in Finder format (non-compressed) like DiskFit
does?

Thanks!

-Ralph
rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (12/14/90)

In article <Dec.12.18.22.47.1990.22081@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
#>
#>I'm still trying to pick between SUM II and Norton, and wonder if
#>anyone has any comments on SUM II's backup feature?  In particular,
#>does it allow backup in Finder format (non-compressed) like DiskFit
#>does?
#>
#>Thanks!
#>
#>-Ralph
#>rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu

I've been following this discussion with interest since I've had
SUM II for some time and recently got Norton. I don't find
SUM II particularly hard to use. But then I haven't crashed
a hard disk yet.

I have used the SUM II backup. It doesn't give a choice. I
don't think it compresses its backup. I just checked. It
creates three files: a directory, a files file, and a small
information file. The files file is slightly larger than the
capacity of the hard disk I backed up, so I doubt that it is
compressed. But I don't think you could access the contents
of that file easily without using SUM II.

I recently obtained Retrospect, which I mistakenly thought
I needed to backup over a network (SUM II could have done it,
too). My recollection is that Retrospect offers three choices,
one of which is a backup as a straight copy, one is like SUM II,
and one is compressed.

Steve Goldfield

mike@cc.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (12/15/90)

In article <Dec.12.18.22.47.1990.22081@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
> I'm still trying to pick between SUM II and Norton, and wonder if
> anyone has any comments on SUM II's backup feature?  In particular,
> does it allow backup in Finder format (non-compressed) like DiskFit
> does?
This is a bit long, but here goes...
I've been spoiled by DiskFit and disappointed by SUM Backup. I like
DiskFit for several reasons:
1. I can restore files without using DiskFit.

2. I can get a printed log of what file is stored where by asking for an
expanded report. This means I can restore by going directly to the disk
required, instead of running SUM Backup and doing two or three disk swaps.

3. DiskFit is more stable. I've never been able to clobber it so badly it
ruined my backup set. The first three times I ran SUM Backup it crashed as
it was finishing up. Not very reassuring in a backup utility...

4. The backup format of DiskFit is more robust, IMHO. With SUM, if you
lose your first diskette (to the dog, a bad drive or cosmic rays), your
backup set is dead, since it contains the dirctory. With SUM, if you
clobber any one disk *all* files on that disk are lost, since all files
are backed up into a single backup file. If you can't recover the entire
backup file, you're dead. With DiskFit, on the other hand, there is no
directory file to clobber. Each disk is self-sufficient. Furthermore, each
*file* on each disk is independent. If you toast a DiskFit disk, chances
are you've lost only one or two files and the rest will be OK.

5. With DiskFit, I can "see" my files on the backup diskettes. Hmm. I must
be getting old. Reminds me of the time I worked for a Data Centre whose
manager refused to upgrade from cards to tape because he felt more secure
having his data in the form of physical, visible holes than as invisible
magnetic blips. We had *roomfuls* of cards and great physiques... :-)

Thanks for your patience. Hope this helps!