[comp.sys.mac.apps] How do I make a color startup screen?

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/11/90)

Okay, I give up. How do I make a color startup screen, one that's the
size of my new 13" RGB monitor? And having made it, will StartupDesk
still work on a IIsi? (That's an INIT that makes your startup screen
into your desktop--I have v1.0...)

I guess this is one of those "email me and I'll summarize" questions--
but I promise, I really will summarize!

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/11/90)

I asked how to make a color startup screen for my 13" RGB monitor and IIsi,
and use it as my desktop.

The first part was relatively easy (in fact, I figured it out before the
first letter arrived!). I used GIFConverter 2.1.1, FTPable from <I forget
where> to save my color PICT as a StartupScreen.

--------
J.D. Sterling Babcock (jdsb@egr.duke.edu) says he opened a GIF file with
Quick GIF and saved it as a PICT with ID=0 (named StartupScreen). However,
it uses the wrong CLUT, he says... Read on, JDSB, there's an answer.

Al Burton (A.K.Burton@massey.ac.nz) described how to change the ID of a
PICT file to 0 with ResEdit (more from Al in a sec...) Brian Aslakson
(aslakson@cs.umn.edu) also passed along ResEdit instructions.

Dennis Cohen (claris!ClarisII!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov), besides winning a
prize for longest address, says that the file type can be either PICT or
SCRN (creator doesnt matter). He pointed out that Giffer and PixelPaint
have options to save in StartupScreen format.

Darryl Marsee (demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu) also recommended Giffer, along
with other goodies (see below), and even told me where they could be FTPed;
namely: DGT.sit.hqx in the pub directory on the host terrapin-station.syr.edu
--------

The second part, how to turn my picture into the desktop, was a little harder.
The init that worked on my SE (StartupDesk 1.0) does not work on my IIsi.

--------
Al Burton says he uses DeskPicture 1.1.

Darryl Marsee said that he uses an INIT called DeskPicture, which is also
in the archive mentioned above. You name your desktop-of-choice DeskPicture,
and the init turns it into your desktop; if you also have a StartUpScreen in
your System folder, you will have one picture at startup and another for your
desktop. The third item in the archive is Thors INIT, which allows the CLUT
of your startup picture to become the default--thus, I presume, solving
Mr. Babcock's problem.

Last but not least, Michael Peirce (claris!outpost!peirce@ames.arc.nasa.gov)
puts in a plug (whoops! NOT A PLUG! REALLY! heheheh...) for Now Utilities,
which contains DeskPicture 2.0 as well as many other utilities.

DeskPicture seems to be the winner, by a nose...
-------

Thanks to all who responded. If anyone needs further information, drop me a
line and I'll be happy to repeat all the good advice that others have given
me.

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

rainwatr@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) (12/13/90)

	I just got the most recent version of Thor's init from Sumex.
This is supposed to load the Color Lookup Table (CLUT) from a
DeskPicture or ColorDesk image as the system CLUT, thus making the
colors come out "right" for photographic-quality images (like those
found in GIF pictures).  This works okay, and the colors look great.
I start up an application, and the colors still look great.  I quit
the application, and my desktop background image goes back to having the
system default CLUT!  Why is this happening?  (Mac II, 8Mb, System
6.0.5, Thor's recommended patches to System and 32-bit Color QuickDraw
files.)
--
Don Rainwater, Univ. of Cincinnati Computer Center
Don.Rainwater@UC.Edu

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (12/14/90)

There are two programs which allow you to make a startup screen for the color
monitors.  Pixel Paint and Giffer 1.08 both have the capability of creating
startup screens.  Pixel Paint allows you to draw or enter scanned images in
color. However it is not a free/shareware.  Giffer can take a processed image
in PICT, QDV or Thunderscan format and save as a startup screen file.
Unfortunately, you can not alter the image in GIF.  Make certain you save in
the startup screen format and place the file named StartupScreen in your
system folder

Good Luck
Rich
Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (12/18/90)

In article <208.2768ad79@mbcl.rutgers.edu> friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>There are two programs which allow you to make a startup screen for the color
>monitors.  Pixel Paint and Giffer 1.08 both have the capability of creating
>startup screens.

Vision Lab also has this capability.