[comp.sys.mac.apps] Flowcharting Program

mf2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Raymond Flatt) (12/16/90)

A friend of mine is looking for a flowcharting program. Apparently, SUM II
does not do what he wants. He's trying to make flow charts like they used
to use (still do?) designing programs - simple "do this and then if that is
tru do this other thing otherwise go back to here" stuff. What's out there
to do this?

Thanks,
Matthew

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (12/17/90)

In article <IbOrbkO00WBN00sI1K@andrew.cmu.edu> mf2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Raymond Flatt) writes:
>A friend of mine is looking for a flowcharting program.

You could use a Smalltalk (PP's or DT's) and roll your own.  We used
Nodegraph-80 from Knowledge Systems Corp. and integrated it into XSIS's
Analyst.  Works great!

Ken Warner

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (12/19/90)

In article <IbOrbkO00WBN00sI1K@andrew.cmu.edu> mf2u+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Matthew Raymond Flatt) writes:
> A friend of mine is looking for a flowcharting program. Apparently, SUM
II
> does not do what he wants. He's trying to make flow charts like they used
> to use (still do?) designing programs - simple "do this and then if that
is
> tru do this other thing otherwise go back to here" stuff. What's out
there
> to do this?

I use MacFlow 3.5 from Mainstay. Unlike most other drawing programs, this
is a virtually modeless program, which makes drawing charts blindingly
fast. You don't have to select tools, such as pointer, line tool,
rectangle tool, text tool. MacFlow is excellent for drawing flow charts,
but it is also superb for organizational charts, network diagrams, concept
maps, and many other types of schematic drawing.

What you have instead of a tools palette is a symbol palette. In addition
to the standard flow chart symbols, you can create your own, or purchase
special palettes, e.g. for electrical circuit symbols, mathematical set
symbols, office furniture, etc.

To start a chart you select a symbol, e.g. a diamond from the palette and
click anywhere in your chart--and the entire diamong is already drawn in
the default size.
You can resize it, which makes the new size the default. Just by
Command-clicking in several more spots, you can insert additional diamonds
of that size, or click on another symbol in the symbol palette to start
adding squares, circles, etc.

To connect the symbols with lines, you simply click inside the first
symbol, draw the line to the second symbol and release the mouse (no need
to select a line tool first!).
You can create lines with vertices by briefly stopping, releasing the
mouse button then holding it down again before continuing where you want
vertices in between symbols.  There is an option you can select from the
menu so that lines will automatically be drawn at right angles, or your
can convert a line to a bezier curve, to give it a smooth curve or even
let it take a loop.

To label the symbols, simply click in their center an start typing the
text (no need to select a text tool!).
To label a line, click on the line and start typing.  You can use multiple
styles, fonts, and sizes. There is an option for symbols to grow
automatically to make the text fit inside them. To draw lines or place
text independent of symbols, hold down the option key before clicking with
the mouse anywhere in the chart.

To rearrange your chart, grab a symbol by its edge and drag it (no need to
select an arrow tool!). Lines stay connected and at right angles if that
option is selected. Clicking on the edge of a symbol also gives you
handles for resizing.

The built-in symbol editor lets you customize the behavior of symbols,
e.g. initial default size, how lines will connect to them, where text
labels will be placed, etc., and it even lets you install into your
savable symbol palettes such things as PICT images and PostScript graphics
created in MacPaint or in Canvas, for example.

To any symbol you can attach a nested chart, a comment (text window) or
another application. Menu selections let you highlight the symbols that
have a comment, a nested chart, or an application attached.
Double-clicking such a symbol to open the nested chart, the comment
window, or to sublaunch the application.  This neat feature is useful to
darw flow charts of office procedures, for example.  A clerk may then
study the chart to determine how to handle a special case, and, after
finding the correct answer, double click it to be transfered right into
the application that handles it.

MicroMacFlow, a utility from Synergistic Applications, takes advantage of
this feature. It lets you convert your MacFlow documents into standalone
executable documents, that anyone who does not own MacFlow can view,
print, and use to navigate through nested levels and comments, and to
launch applications. This makes MacFolw also suitable as a simple
authoring tool for self paced tutorials.

I have no relationship or interest in Mainstay or Synergistic Applications
other than being a very satisfied customer and Beta tester.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206