[comp.sys.mac.apps] Freedom of Press Light/DeskWriter

jbr@key.COM (Jeff Rubin) (12/21/90)

A few days ago I posted about Freedom of Press Light printing way
up near the top 1/8 " of the page on my DeskWriter and wondered
how this way happening since the DeskWriter user's manual says
the imageable area for an 8 1/2" x 11" page is 8" x 10.16" (i.e.,
0.42" top and bottom margin).  HP was no help but Custom Applications, Inc.
(FOP's publisher) told me that they essentially have their own version
of a DeskWriter driver inside of FOP.  They said it was buggy and was
causing the page to be shifted up.  They suggested using their QuickDraw
DeskWriter selection (which goes through the HP DeskWriter driver).  I'll
try this tonight.

My next question is for HP.  If FOP can print way up near the top of the
page (whether due to a bug on their part or not) why can't I?  Why is the
imageable area restricted to 8" x 10.16"?  What did you tell CAI so that
they were able to do this?

-- Jeff

jbr@amdahl.key.com
..!amdahl!key!jbr

carl@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (12/21/90)

In article <2350@key.COM> jbr@key.com () writes:
>A few days ago I posted about Freedom of Press Light printing way
>up near the top 1/8 " of the page on my DeskWriter and wondered
>how this way happening since the DeskWriter user's manual says
>the imageable area for an 8 1/2" x 11" page is 8" x 10.16" ...
>
>My next question is for HP.  If FOP can print way up near the top of the
>page (whether due to a bug on their part or not) why can't I?  Why is the
>imageable area restricted to 8" x 10.16"?  What did you tell CAI so that
>they were able to do this?

Yes... I'd very much like to know too!  I'd like to know if the 0.5"
margins have to be so absolute.  The envelope feed and special forms
like checks which have very little margins cause all kinds of problems
trying to get the DeskWriter to print exactly where you want.  When was
the last time you received an envelope with the return address 1/2" down
and 1/2" over from the top corner of an envelope?  1/4" maybe?  BUT NOT
a full 1/2".

I'd like better control of where I can print on non-standard forms.

-Carl

HP Are you listening?  Is the problem in the printing/paper-detecting
hardware or just a [silly] imaging-area that is software controlled?

--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl