[comp.sys.mac.apps] merge quotes in Word 4

jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/15/90)

When I do a Print Merge in Word 4, it complains if it finds unmatched
merge quotes (the option-backslash and shift-option-backslash characters).
Reasonable enough, but what do I do if I want to use those characters as
characters, rather than as merge command delimiters?

I have looked in the manual, but not found an answer.

Please email me - I read this group, but news reception here is flaky.

--
Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
Internet:  jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

jrk@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/21/90)

I recently asked here:

> When I do a Print Merge in Word 4, it complains if it finds unmatched
> merge quotes (the option-backslash and shift-option-backslash characters).
> Reasonable enough, but what do I do if I want to use those characters as
> characters, rather than as merge command delimiters?

I received a reply from someone at Microsoft, saying it isnt possible
(but that a future version of Word may let you specify which characters
to use as merge quotes).  Ah well.

One work-around is to find another font with the glyphs you want, but
associated with different character codes.  The ones I want are set-union
and set-intersection, which the Symbol font has as the merge-quotes, hence
my problem.  But I have another mathematical font with much the same glyphs
at different character codes.

If you want the actual << and >> glyphs, these are the merge-quote characters
of all the fonts which have them that I looked at.  But you can fake them
with:

        <\D\BA1()<
or
        <\D\BA2()<

Here '<' is not the less-than character, but shift-option-3, which is
present in all the alphabetic PostScript fonts I looked at (but is missing
from all the standard bitmap-only fonts, including New York, Geneva, and
Monaco) and prints almost identically to half a merge quote.  '\' is the
command-option-backslash formula character.

Alternatively, two shift-option-3 characters, the first with Compressed
1.75 character style.  Strangely, whether or not I use Fractional Widths,
this prints identically to <\D\BA1()<, even though it should surely be
0.75pt narrower.

Use shift-option-4 to fake the close merge quote.

--

alanh@cup.portal.com (Alan E Hattman) (11/29/90)

In article <14864.9011201902@s4.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@information-systems.east-a
ia.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:

>> When I do a Print Merge in Word 4, it complains if it finds unmatched
>> merge quotes (the option-backslash and shift-option-backslash characters).
>> Reasonable enough, but what do I do if I want to use those characters as
>> characters, rather than as merge command delimiters?

The easiest way around this problem is to covert your data document into a
table.  The insert table command will ask if you want to use tab delimeter,
comma delimeter, paragraphs or side by side.

I set all my documents using tabs.  Once the table is created you can type
*anything* you want in each field including all the commas, quotation marks,
etc. you want without worry.

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/29/90)

In article <36322@cup.portal.com>, alanh@cup.portal.com (Alan E Hattman) writes:
> The easiest way around this problem is to covert your data document into a
> table.  The insert table command will ask if you want to use tab delimeter,
> comma delimeter, paragraphs or side by side.
>
> I set all my documents using tabs.  Once the table is created you can type
> *anything* you want in each field including all the commas, quotation marks,
> etc. you want without worry.
I don't know about that. Ever tried typing a TAB into a table? The only
way I've been able to do it is to type one somewhere else, then cut it and
paste it into the table cell.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

grahams@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.054400.24922@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>I don't know about that. Ever tried typing a TAB into a table? The only
>way I've been able to do it is to type one somewhere else, then cut it and
>paste it into the table cell.
>--
Try typing option-tab.

Steve Graham
graham@isis.e.washington.edu

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (11/30/90)

Would this work:

   1. Use '<<' and '>>' instead of the merge quotes, wherever you do not
      actually want a merge variable reference.
   2. Mail merge, but to a new file, not your printer.
   3. In the new file, Change All the opening quote for '<<' and closing quote
      for '>>'.
   4. Print the new file.

Strangely, I had originally intended to use option-P instead of option-\ and
shift-option-P instead of shift-option-\, but Word refuses to find the
character option-p. It will find option-8 (the bullet), but not shift-option-P.

A Nisus user,
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/03/90)

philip@pescadero.stanford.edu (Philip Machanick) writes in a message on 29 Nov
90:

PM> Ever tried typing a TAB into a table? The only way I've been
PM> able to do it is to type one somewhere else, then cut it and
PM> paste it into the table cell.

hehehehe  This one eluded me, too, for about 5 seconds.  I looked at the problem,
saw that Word allowed tab markers in the ruler for a table, and decided it _must_
be possible, so I tried the first thing that came to mind--modifying the tab
with the option key.  Works like a charm.

To summarize, option-tab will let you tab within a cell in a Word 4 table.
Plain tab sends you to the next cell.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

anderson@lynx.cat.syr.edu (Joseph Anderson) (12/24/90)

	Alas, somebody answered the original question with an answered in the
	Word help on the application.

	Now I've got a question.....did I misunderstand the question or are you
	inferring that word will not handle (or will confuse) Shift . and
	shift , (Typed twice in either case) with option backslash commands?

	anderson@cat.syr.edu