[comp.sys.mac.apps] MACINTAX vs. TURBOTAX

bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) (12/19/90)

I saw this asked on the net recently but never saw a response.  So here
goes again:

Which program is better, MacInTax or TurboTax?  If you have seen a review
or purchased/played with either or preferrably both, please let the net
land know what you think of each.  I want to purchase one and know that
MacInTax has made many people happy over the past few years.  But now
that there is competition, I'd like to know which is better.

Thanks for any followup postings or email to me.  If I get alot of
worthwhile responses via email, I will post a summary.

--Bruce
--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                     /  (503) 626-7000

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (12/22/90)

bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
> I saw this asked on the net recently but never saw a response.  So here
> goes again:

> Which program is better, MacInTax or TurboTax?

Better is such a subjective idea but I will give you a few thoughts
on the subject.

I have used MacInTax for the last two years and it is a nice forms
pacakge.  However that is just about all it is.  Sure there is on
line help but it does not go far beyond the forms and reports that
you can get from the IRS.  Also historicly MacInTax has not shiped
until sometime in February.

TurboTax on the other hand seems to be a true aid in prepairing taxes.
It is loaded with areas to enter receipt information for all of your
tax related stuff, not just your W2s.  It also will show you how your
deductions stack up against the national averages and it checks your
return for any odd things that are likely to flag an audit.  This is
purely for informational reasons and is not ment to be used as a tool
for ceative financing. ;-}  You can also attach notes to almost every
entery.  Also you can override all of the calculated fields, so if you
have an odity in you taxes that TurboTax does not handle you can just
override it and place a note there to help you remember where the
number came from.  Also the thing I like the best is the reason I can
tell you all of this.  If you order TurboTax now you get a starter
version that does most everything accept next year planning. (Yes it
does that too.)  Then according to the documentation they mail you
a free final version toward the end of January if you have registered.
All this for only $50, and it was back ordered at MacConnection when
I ordered so I only paid $45.

Have a happy,
Pete Hoch

P.S.  TurboTax also has a fun little tax trivia game built in.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (12/22/90)

In article <45114@cci632.UUCP> ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:
>I have used MacInTax for the last two years and it is a nice forms
>pacakge.  However that is just about all it is.  Sure there is on
>line help but it does not go far beyond the forms and reports that
>you can get from the IRS.  Also historicly MacInTax has not shiped
>until sometime in February.

That's odd.  I could've sworn that I've been working with MacInTax '90
for the past month.  Must've been dreaming.

Last year I had the program in December (My first year of MacInTax) so
I don't think it's proper to say that MacInTax "historicly" doesn't ship
until sometime in February.

I've never used TurboTax, but MacInTax hasn't brought me down.  I'm happy
with it.

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (12/22/90)

+
+That's odd.  I could've sworn that I've been working with MacInTax '90
+for the past month.  Must've been dreaming.
+
+Last year I had the program in December (My first year of MacInTax) so
+I don't think it's proper to say that MacInTax "historicly" doesn't ship
+until sometime in February.
+	[...]

What you (and I) are using now is a preliminary version which will be replaced
in February -- bet on it.  Since you probably won't have your W-4s until then
anyway, it's not a big problem.

--
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)          |

In article <4987@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) writes:
>In article <1990Dec21.205935.15499@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:
>+
>+That's odd.  I could've sworn that I've been working with MacInTax '90
>+for the past month.  Must've been dreaming.
>+
>+Last year I had the program in December (My first year of MacInTax) so
>+I don't think it's proper to say that MacInTax "historicly" doesn't ship
>+until sometime in February.
>+	[...]
>
>What you (and I) are using now is a preliminary version which will be replaced
>in February -- bet on it.  Since you probably won't have your W-4s until then
>anyway, it's not a big problem.

True, although the initial release seems to be complete enough for returns like
mine (1040 with itemized deductions).  I don't need all those fancy forms and
probably won't for a while. The February update I received last time didn't make
any difference in the bottom line.

I usually don't wait for the W-4s before I start working on my taxes.  Right
now I have everything ready to go.  I just have to enter and/or check the
numbers as the supporting documents start rolling in.  I won't file till the
last minute though...I usually owe something.

--

rand@merrimack.edu (12/26/90)

In article <45114@cci632.UUCP>, ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:
> TurboTax on the other hand seems to be a true aid in prepairing taxes.
> It is loaded with areas to enter receipt information for all of your
> tax related stuff, not just your W2s.  It also will show you how your
> deductions stack up against the national averages and it checks your
> return for any odd things that are likely to flag an audit.  This is
> purely for informational reasons and is not ment to be used as a tool
> for ceative financing. ;-}  You can also attach notes to almost every
> entery.  Also you can override all of the calculated fields, so if you
> have an odity in you taxes that TurboTax does not handle you can just
> override it and place a note there to help you remember where the
> number came from.

Hmmm, I used the 1989 version of Macintax and it included all of the
above except for the dubious audit checking. I was very happy with it.

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,wang,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College                     rand%merrimack.edu@samsung.com
N. Andover, MA         I spend so much time doing nothing. Life's wasting away.

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (12/29/90)

In article <20885.27787187@merrimack.edu> rand@merrimack.edu writes:
>Hmmm, I used the 1989 version of Macintax and it included all of the
>above except for the dubious audit checking. I was very happy with it.

The problem I have with MacinTax is that it is too damned expensive.  I
bought it last year for the first time and it cost something like $80.  Ok,
fine, I'm sure a lot of work went into it.  But then a few weeks ago I get
the notice for the 1990 "upgrade".  They want $50 for it!  That is simply
obscene!  There just can't be that many differences between the 1989 forms
and the 1990 forms to warrant them charging me that much for a wrongly-named
"upgrage".  Given that the price for TurboTax off the shelf is the same as
the "upgrade" for MacinTax, I see no reason not to switch this year.  (Are
you listening, Russ?)

--James Preston

James.Preston@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (James Preston) (12/29/90)

From: jsp@key.COM

In article <20885.27787187@merrimack.edu> rand@merrimack.edu writes:
>Hmmm, I used the 1989 version of Macintax and it included all of the
>above except for the dubious audit checking. I was very happy with it.

The problem I have with MacinTax is that it is too damned expensive.  I
bought it last year for the first time and it cost something like $80.  Ok,
fine, I'm sure a lot of work went into it.  But then a few weeks ago I get
the notice for the 1990 "upgrade".  They want $50 for it!  That is simply
obscene!  There just can't be that many differences between the 1989 forms
and the 1990 forms to warrant them charging me that much for a wrongly-named
"upgrage".  Given that the price for TurboTax off the shelf is the same as
the "upgrade" for MacinTax, I see no reason not to switch this year.  (Are
you listening, Russ?)

--James Preston

--
James Preston - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!James.Preston