[comp.sys.mac.apps] Which format to use?

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/30/90)

As far as I'm concerned, when people send submissions to the
info-mac archives, they're doing it for the benefit of others.
I'm certainly don't want to impose all these facist restrictions
as to what format they have to use.  Use whatever they normally use.
Why force them to go to the trouble of compressing it with application
xyz?

What no one has mentioned so far, is that anyone who sends anything to
sumex-aim, whether it be Compactor, StuffIt, or StuffIt Deluxe, is
that they're expected to have paid the shareware fees to use the
compression.  If someone has shelled out the $20 bucks (or whatever)
for Compactor, why make them pay for StuffIt?

Sure, people will have to learn that .cpt means that they have to use
Compactor or Extractor to uncompact it and that .sea means self-extracting
archives, and that .sit means StuffIt.  So what?  Since when is learning
something bad for someone?

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (12/30/90)

In <5181@husc6.harvard.edu> kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>I'm certainly don't want to impose all these facist restrictions
>as to what format they have to use.

  Jag tycker att det ska vara samma sak med spr}ket. Varf|r ska vi
ha denna anglosaxiska fascism n{r det g{ller spr}ket? Om jag har
l{rt mig svenska s} ska jag f} anv{nda mig av det ocks}!

>So what?  Since when is learning something bad for someone?

  Kom igen nu, och l{r dig svenska! Det kan aldrig skada.

mvh
    /Olle

Olle.Furberg@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Olle Furberg) (12/30/90)

In <5181@husc6.harvard.edu> kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>I'm certainly don't want to impose all these facist restrictions
>as to what format they have to use.

  Jag tycker att det ska vara samma sak med spr}ket. VarfIr ska vi
ha denna anglosaxiska fascism n{r det g{ller spr}ket? Om jag har
l{rt mig svenska s} ska jag f} anv{nda mig av det ocks}!

>So what?  Since when is learning something bad for someone?

  Kom igen nu, och l{r dig svenska! Det kan aldrig skada.

mvh
    /Olle

--
Olle Furberg - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Olle.Furberg

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (01/01/91)

In article <5181@husc6.harvard.edu>
           kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
> What no one has mentioned so far, is that anyone who sends anything to
> sumex-aim, whether it be Compactor, StuffIt, or StuffIt Deluxe, is
> that they're expected to have paid the shareware fees to use the
> compression.  If someone has shelled out the $20 bucks (or whatever)
> for Compactor, why make them pay for StuffIt?

Well, I don't know if I mentioned it explicitly, but this is certainly one
of the reasons that using Stuffit 1.5.1 makes more sense.  It's been
around for a long time, and a load of people have *already* paid for
stuffit.  Not only that, but some of the other compaction programs know
what to do with stuffit 1.5.1 files, so even if you have not paid for
Stuffit then you still may have paid for something else which can handle
Stuffit 1.5.1 files.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu