[comp.sys.mac.apps] Don't post stuff using stuffit

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (12/29/90)

	First, let me say that I am a registered user of StuffIt
Deluxe 1.0 and I have also done some beta-testing of SD 1.1 (or
what is actually becoming SD 2.0). Currently, however, I am using
Compactor. Why?? 90% speed, 9% archive size, 1% multifinder
friendliness. My home machine is a mac+ and I just can't afford
to wait for hours (literally) to compress or uncompress a large
archive (like the Apple TN stack).

	However, Compactor has nowhere near the features I need
for archival storage of my HUGE collection of software. In
particular, the viewers, the access to multiple archives with
copying of files between such, the ability to incorporate additional
features - compressors, viewers, and so on - without waiting for a
new version of SD to be released....

	If SD 2.0 is even approximately close to Compactor in
speed and compression ratio, or if I can incorporate the freely
available LZW algorithm used in UN*X compress (and MacCompress)
as another compression method in SD, then I'll run for SD 2 so
fast Compactor won't even see my dust.

	One last note. I am one of the reportedly very few people
who has been seriously impacted by the StuffIt Installer problem!
I would STILL prefer to use StuffIt Deluxe.

	Just my own opinion.
	Peter C

--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec28.110336@hari.Viewlogic.COM> peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) writes:

>	If SD 2.0 is even approximately close to Compactor in
>speed and compression ratio, or if I can incorporate the freely
>available LZW algorithm used in UN*X compress (and MacCompress)
>as another compression method in SD, then I'll run for SD 2 so
>fast Compactor won't even see my dust.

The Quick Tips column in the latest (Jan '91) issue of MacWorld suggests
that several factors make a tremendous difference in un-stuffing time
for Stuffit 1.5.1, so possibly they will also make a difference in Stuffit
Classic and Stuffit Deluxe.  I haven't tried any of these myself yet,
but apparently, using a screen saver when unstuffing, running Stuffit and
the System off of a floppy(!), and setting the Monitors CDev in the control
panel to Black&White all drastically improve un-stuffing performance.  The
times given for unstuffing a 98K archive went like this:

73 seconds with no screen saver active and running off of 80MB Apple hard disk
53 seconds with After Dark screen saver and hard disk
50 seconds with no screen saver, active system and Stuffit app. on floppy
43 seconds with After Dark, active system and Stuffit on floppy.

All times doubled when monitors CDev set to 256 colors.  That's about a
3.4-fold increase in performance between the best and worst cases.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd throw
it out for people to try so we could get some statistically significant
results.  It would also be interesting to see if Compactor benefits from
any of the above methods.
--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.221035.16112@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>The Quick Tips column in the latest (Jan '91) issue of MacWorld suggests
>that several factors make a tremendous difference in un-stuffing time
>for Stuffit 1.5.1, so possibly they will also make a difference in Stuffit
>Classic and Stuffit Deluxe.  I haven't tried any of these myself yet,
>but apparently, using a screen saver when unstuffing, running Stuffit and
>the System off of a floppy(!), and setting the Monitors CDev in the control
>panel to Black&White all drastically improve un-stuffing performance.  The
>times given for unstuffing a 98K archive went like this:

I too was amazed at this and actually found it to be true.  It's actually
not too surprising when you sit there and watch your hard disk's access
light constantly flicker.  When I ran StuffIt Deluxe on an 8 meg
IIfx (finder only), I was appalled by the speed.  The intelligent
thing to do would be to create one large input buffer and one large
output buffer to lessen disk access.  StuffIt Deluxe seems to ignore
available memory and reads in tiny blocks at a time.  It's not hard
to understand how everyone else's StuffIt decompression programs are
faster than StuffIt.  Hopefully this'll change in StuffIt Deluxe 2.0.
Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
Aladdin.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (01/01/91)

In article <5185@husc6.harvard.edu>, kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock)
writes:
> I too was amazed at this and actually found it to be true.  It's actually
> not too surprising when you sit there and watch your hard disk's access
> light constantly flicker.  When I ran StuffIt Deluxe on an 8 meg
> IIfx (finder only), I was appalled by the speed.  The intelligent
> thing to do would be to create one large input buffer and one large
> output buffer to lessen disk access.
	Stuffit Deluxe 2.0 improves on this (and other stuff), but if you
want to see REAL disk access, look at Compactor.  I once did some testing
on a PLI External RAMDisk and you should have seen the disk activity of
Compactor, and because the disk was fast(!) it got better times than on a
regular HD.

> Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
> someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
> Aladdin.

	That's not entirely fair, Ken.  Version 1.0 of Stuffit Deluxe had
other priorities than speed at the time it was being written - they were
concentrating on offering features which made compression & archiving easier
and more convient - the viewers, optimizers and scripting for example.  Users
have found these to be quite useful, but the biggest request for 2.0 was
Speed - and so it has been addressed!
	Remember that there is more to compression utilities, or any program
for that matter, than just speed.  A program may take a bit longer to compress
a file, but it may also take me less time to start the compression process
as it is easier to work with!  If speed were the only issue, we would all
be using CRAYs and COS (blech!)
+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

Nicholas_Brooker@kcbbs.gen.nz (Nicholas Brooker) (01/01/91)

At last someone who shares my view of stuffit!

I use two machines.  A IIci and an plus, stuffit works ok on the ci
but still isn't too multifinbder friendly, but on the plus nothing can
run in the background.  Whereas compactor runs beautifully on both,
when it is pushed to the background, it does just that sits unobtrusively
in the background.  And even in the background it is faster than stuffit.
 I have never used stuffit deluxe, but some of the features sound like
they could make it worth while, but till then I'm backing the shareware
product and hoping others will support this worthwhile software prosuct.

(Now all we need is a direct port of PKZIP :-))

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.201634.27364@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <5185@husc6.harvard.edu>, kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock)
>writes:
>> Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
>> someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
>> Aladdin.
>>
>	That's not entirely fair, Ken.  Version 1.0 of Stuffit Deluxe had
>other priorities than speed at the time it was being written - they were
>concentrating on offering features which made compression & archiving easier
>and more convient - the viewers, optimizers and scripting for example.  Users
>have found these to be quite useful, but the biggest request for 2.0 was
>Speed - and so it has been addressed!

No, it's not entirely fair, I must admit.  (Which is why I'm posting
this...)  But there are a few reasons why I've been so sorely disappointed
with StuffIt Deluxe:

1) At MacWorld I -did- ask about speed.  I was told it'd be faster.
   (Note: I use "Better" compression, which is slow, but Compactor
    gives comparable results in less time, so I feel StuffIt should
    be able to do at least close.)
2) It has to say something negative when everyone else can do it
   (read as: unstuffing) faster than you do it, -with your own format-.
3) I, too, had a different installer bug.  If there's anything that should be
   thoroughly tested, it's an installer.  If the first thing you try
   fails, it can't help but leave a bad taste in your mouth.
   (Good thing I didn't run into the recursive folders...)
4) I once tried the Sound optimizer.  It took longer to unstuff a 1 meg
   sound file than to stuff it.  (Over 30 minutes...)
5) I hate the personalization feature.  The fact that it won't let me NOT
   enter a signature bothers me even more.  Who on earth can draw their
   signature with MacPaint tools and have it even remotely resemble their
   actual signature?  I can't.  If I had to vote for the worst feature of
   any program for 1990, this would honestly be it.

Now, to be fair, I have to defend some of the features I do like:

1) Magic Menu -- it's the second reason I haven't already switched to
   Compactor.  I like it too much to do without it.
2) Quick Unstuff.  I do loads of downloading from unix boxes.  I
   run mcvert (.hqx -> .bin) and then batch download with zmodem.
   I used to have to unstuff and move into separate folders which
   would have been absolutely impossible instead of difficult without
   the various new folder INITs.  Quick Unstuff does exactly what I've
   been doing for years, painlessly.  (DDExpand does it as well...)
3) Folder recursion.  Not unique, but still a big improvement.

And of course, the first reason I haven't switched: loyalty.
I sent in my StuffIt registration fee shortly after StuffIt came out.
Why?  Not because I wanted to use the compression options (even though
I later did), but because I knew it was going to save me a LOT of time
and money that was getting used up by downloading the larger PackIt files.
Over the last few years, I've saved lots of time and money and I
very much appreciate the effort that Raymond Lau put into StuffIt.  For
may years people looked at PKZIP and said how much better IBM compression
programs were, but no one did anything until StuffIt.

Oh well, more than 'nuff said.

Ken