[comp.sys.mac.apps] Equations - better way than Word?

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (12/16/90)

I have a fried who is using Word for writing Math course books.

He uses the equation features in Word because they are very
convenient for changes (he's tried Mathtype) being still part
of the Word document.

Any suggestions for a better tool for writing the books/doing
equations?  I get the impression the thing that bugs him
about MathType etc. is having to go out to the Apple menu etc.
all the time, as well as the "picture" mode of transfer which
makes it harder to position the equations in Word.

Please post rather than mail your replies (keep international mail
costs down!).

TIA

Andy Dent

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (12/17/90)

> I have a fried who is using Word for writing Math course books.
> Any suggestions for a better tool for writing the books/doing
> equations?  I get the impression the thing that bugs him
> about MathType etc. is having to go out to the Apple menu etc.
> all the time, as well as the "picture" mode of transfer which
> makes it harder to position the equations in Word.

FrameMaker has a built-in equation editor.  It certainly beats Word's
equations by a large margin.

PROS	built-in
	reasonable editing
	auto-numbering of equations (and figures, etc.)
	runs on Unix workstations as well, and files can be shared

CONS	expensive (although they do have an educational discount)
	equations are not as well-formed as Expressionist or MathType
	tries to do algebra as well, which sometimes gets in the way

It's the first real alternative to TeX I've found for technical
publications on the Mac.

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

scavo@CIE.UOREGON.EDU (12/17/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: Equations - better way than Word?

In article <1990Dec16.205059.2706@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>I have a fried who is using Word for writing Math course books.
>
>He uses the equation features in Word because they are very
>convenient for changes (he's tried Mathtype) being still part
>of the Word document.
>
>Any suggestions for a better tool for writing the books/doing
>equations?  I get the impression the thing that bugs him
>about MathType etc. is having to go out to the Apple menu etc.
>all the time, as well as the "picture" mode of transfer which
>makes it harder to position the equations in Word.

Yes, Word formula commands ARE handy. The problem is that
the program knows all too little about the art of mathematical
typesetting.  For example, the positions of superscripts and
subscripts must be specified by the user, and Word's formatting
of integrals is preposterous.  But I also like the idea of an
integrated package of writing tools that includes a mathematical
equation editor, and have looked far and wide for such a beast.

There are only two alternatives to Word that I know of, and one
of those hasn't been released yet.  FrameMaker has a very good
equations editor, excellent book-making features, and even a
built-in drawing palette.  But the quality of Frames's equations
pales in comparison with that TeX---the definitive mathematical
typesetting tool (but then what doesn't  :-).  On the other hand,
FM's unique interface makes the creation of mathematics a breeze
(if you have the appropriate hardware, that is).

The only other wysiwyg technical word processor is version 2
of MathWriter, to be released Real Soon Now.  It doesn't have
all of the features of FM (but then it doesn't cost near as
much either) but sure is better than Word for creating short
technical documents.  I wouldn't recommend MW to book writers,
however.

FrameMaker completely ignores the TeX standard as far as I'm
aware.  The makers of MathWriter, however, will offer various
file filters designed to work seamlessly with their program.
I've looked at an RTF filter, and I understand a TeX filter
will also be available.

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

fs285119@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (12/17/90)

I use a nice little DA called Expressionist to write equations in.  It is very
good, has lots of options for the type of characters you will be writing,
For Example, the are sub/superscripts, both at the same time, or one at a time
There are multiple special characters (symbol font) along with options like
special parenthasies, uderscoring, over scoring (like H bars) as well as
fractions, square roots, you name it, this thing has got it.

It also allows you the option to print to an imagewriter OR a laserprinter
(the type comes out better if you use the appropriate option - printing in
postscript for the laserprinter).

The main way the DA works is to allow you to make the equation by adding the
special blocks you want (fraction, square root etc.) and then when you have
finished you can either copy them as text to the application you want them
in or you can copy them as a PICT to the application - I like to copy them
as a PICT file, that way I can scale them without messing up the formatting.

I give this program the thumbs up definitively.  four stars, four mice and
all the fireworks!

If you would like to purchase this pearl, here is the address (may not still
be valid as I received this back in '89.

Allan Bonadio Associates
814 Castro St. #60
San Francisco, CA
94114
(415) 282-5864

I hope this helps you out.

Scott

--
Scott Cherkofsky	   "One thing I have learned in long life: That
George Washington U.        all our science, measured against reality,

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (12/17/90)

From article <9012161929.AA14458@cie.uoregon.edu>, by scavo@CIE.UOREGON.EDU:

> In article <1990Dec16.205059.2706@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>>
>>Any suggestions for a better tool for writing the books/doing
>>equations?  I get the impression the thing that bugs him
>>about MathType etc. is having to go out to the Apple menu etc.
>>all the time, as well as the "picture" mode of transfer which
>>makes it harder to position the equations in Word.
>
> Yes, Word formula commands ARE handy. The problem is that
> the program knows all too little about the art of mathematical
> typesetting.  For example, the positions of superscripts and
> subscripts must be specified by the user, and Word's formatting
> of integrals is preposterous.  But I also like the idea of an
> integrated package of writing tools that includes a mathematical
> equation editor, and have looked far and wide for such a beast.

For integrals, try

   .\i(a,b,.\a( , )) <integrand expression>

i.e. this gives WORD a null array as the integrand and makes the integral
sign look "right".  The same technique works well for summation.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52242

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (12/17/90)

I also uses Expressionist. This is a very good package, and you can even
cut formulaes you have already inserted in your document, back to the
formula editor.

Another thing that might bother people is that WORD :-( fails to use the
baseline offset information supplied by most typesetting programs for
the Macintosh.

Disclaimer: I have used LaTeX, but have now settled down with NISUS,
which is the state of the art wordprocessor for the Macintosh (free demo
available from jon@weber.ucsd.edu), and Expressionist which I think is
the best price/performance ratio in mathematical typesetting (apart from
OzTeX).

Disclaimer disclaimer: I am not connected with Paragon Concepts or the
company making Expressionist in any way. I just happened to have bought
their products.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (12/19/90)

In article <3623@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>For integrals, try
>
>   .\i(a,b,.\a( , )) <integrand expression>
>
>i.e. this gives WORD a null array as the integrand and makes the integral
>sign look "right".  The same technique works well for summation.

This doesn't clear up the problem I had in mind.  First of all,
the integral should almost always be of Word's "inline" type---
you'll rarely see the limits directly above and below the integral
symbol in mathematical writing---and this is precisely the problem
since

looks absolutely awful.  By trial and error, I've found that

	.\I.\in(.\S.\do4(<llimit>),.\S.\ai-4(<ulimit),<integrand>)

gives much better results.  You'll probably want to put this in
a glossary, however.

Secondly, it's not a good idea to separate the integrand from
the integral formula command since you lose the benefit of an
auto-sizing integral symbol.

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

fchang@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Floating Point) (12/19/90)

To have mathematical symbols and equations in WORD for the Macintosh, I
prefer to use the program called MathType, by Design Science, Inc.  It not
only does integrals, it does many many many more things in very user-friendly
ways.  You pick out what you want to do from templates, or using keyboard
short-cuts.  I often use it in under Multi-Finder where I write my equations,
select it, copy it, and then paste it into my WORD document.  For those who
dislike Multi-Finder, there is a DA version as well.

The copy I have is version 2.02, dated 1989.  This version has some queer
bugs that aren't fatal, but inconvenient.

- fpc -
fchang@sdcc13.ucsd.edu
--

   _____  _                            _ __

white@ucs.sfu.ca (Steve White) (01/03/91)

I don't recommend using the automatic scaling feature of Word's .\i
command.  Instead, I put a space in the third argument, formatted so
that it gives the integral of the right size.  I've included a stuffed
and binhex'ed example of some particularly messy formulas below.  The
file includes norm signs and summations. I'm using Adobe fonts here--
it won't look right if you use anything else.

With regard to MathType, etc.:  They do make very pretty expressions,
but there is a very serious difficulty with them that I've never seen
discussed.  They produce PICT's, at a minimum of about 3k each.  I've
seen a 20 page Word document take up like 350k!  This is, of course,
in very math-intensive documents.

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:&eG[FQ3JCA&eELiJCAKKEA"XCA-ZFfPd!&0*9#&6593K!!!!!!E+!!!!!&468dP

8)3!"!!!'bR*-BA8"!!!!!!!!!!!#&@9iB@e`E'9c)'pQ)'PZG'9RFQ&XF`!C#6S

!!!!$!"N2VJ!#HVS!'*q1!!5SA!!C#6S$1J%3!"`!!3!!!"LIU&G%3Nj08eG%!3#

MPpdLSjIG*3!!!!!!!!`!!!!!!!!!"N3!!1FN!!!!!!!!qqrqEJ$J!+#J3B-C$Ki

-B&!!NB),2#J%%1$Ka)XB$bSSU+(J4J!G!5J)kC'Nb)i12+,3Z0+JJTBU@3+!i"'

(5)p#01B-UB!,!$`aA9)$!-)M2Be(98#8k*+N!)SCSdUG5T@UJ64AhD!`--F!Q6F

f8-")`B+VJ6"T@Z"!FBHXfDmb8)")N8)*#M`R8S"!m[E0eMNS8-3J#f*X#K4V3"M

!Bi"0'30bdQ`PBd"-Q"SSp"l'd`+[!4E+mU4Bh2Kaj-Q9,fHHQi)-AK!05$Z',0P

VDXbDJlM"!k)&L##-'FmqEGXblVNJ324)EX"[Qc"i@-`"i3c%&KLI3F6SSVGbj6%

'q'c&DJCmZEpRdm40Se`l@6FXjZl"Jf+1Qc3TYT`"61HqAYrlSG!I#QN0PN)AbIP

Q&PTKcA999ZKp&9Crq*A9&9TU#DK9JA4Ck08EFFe&(aedN4%JLAfNd!!%AMJ!KLC

H22#L&a$-'-'-%VaSJ4M#p%""',MNF%%P,9S#aT!!TrK5"`a$aQM*"%G@NQ3GjJ5

3!!X(jUK3!!3A9+#1&b5Bmd#AN!"8d1)%5S,a"813!&!!b36G@($'-)`Xd`d&hL$

$4J))('"!!33-)%!!GhSK`ak3!%M3$3!*@,#'-!H)8B%KDe4`5*aM#*2!&a5)3d%

i9P3!535,*S$*&bB!3-Be-Rc"53#VaQ!%(M088%`2&T!!8FdP&-aJJ65dJ['-!KC

8J!X"ZHkDacZ4,0S"*Q$%B!%J+,6"aaIq"'!'1D[FNBBUDP4$M5TVQ'1!0La3-))

&&$c`663(X2[),c[N33mBH+3JJaPiM2$!#&$L03)%8F6"4`9JN!!"KMN%M)-2!49

%FF@l,b"m$`(X$,"-(4G-N!#*a4J2B!%Z"Pc-MJ!EAr"!*LD,M)X!0#M!`m9N[20

`(XXJh2((4kl-`"MI1$0"ZlJmB!!["EKJ`!U`*+!!-!QiS-!+XX"LM!-28,"(d!4

N[FF+%6LJ4`X8S"#"$"9!m#i$&L``E`8Yh%,$!M`XHhEDlfj4m-%*,pc``bhcBV)

!b#b!m$I2'"$aa-m)!%Bh,HY5J54l)k````iM@a"$QcH`H8S82E!j644KX(P#&*@

`HDS8RE"j#TXV4G%+Ql1`H3fEfd44$T[[X,N2Qrq`14#E4l'j&*Y6XAN9QeZa14D

EEl'j6a5jXINEQmHa14fE(l)j)TXRXVNLQbqb151E0l+j)jXrXRNNQiZbq5LENl)

j+TZcXRNVQlZbq5ZEJmAQBV%j@@aZ&T[EaHD@X6PQE'iS&+R'jUbaZ@YX,KZEfmE

QZ,'j49(N'jX$aqE#X6PaE'iFQb[(jXka1A4X,Kd!i!F!mJ%!H`"J(J#3!!F!hX'

1'2T`(ZqBB3l6S8-GdY#)!#K(1(3)3b3Z+K[9`'!dQT'-CJ#J'!!3"Mpq)80Kd(!

A455K2-*KJ*X!!!Bb,!!!6(F""a3!#!JSL!2+f*%,S"%!G!4!'ip5aSmiJ)p!m10

4$J#!!4L%!!JSie-+3J!m!N!#HJ6!8``35$R+m!"!i&a"d0&)QP`!!*d%3%V8'%F

!)#!!3#!!%'Jb5L#BcJ&Z0'9"*%"+13*!#5rFR$SfYil0Y@0c3D3)2$BAMmhTN!!

L1+6)85K5MmhCN!!LppJF2MC(3iVXBh2r+-JL*IP*5CT1NL%4`!Dd54"*NN#EUT-

Nk`6J1NQf4!#`Nb6Y*'N$E3T%NVS6!1mNk6Y*pN#E`*1Nm#4*2%N'3CXjNH4$r+%

2!%56S3"Jk$cdm3iF4T-G,P3K4X1"MQk3!0!I%BeS3d'+`DUBp+3S6DP+9mV5PVV

dT5IYBd(ZQ-F,-%#'-JA!63&3bdG5mL-lI@-T*9"6"q$8M%B&j8`Lq90,8S4imG4

N!1bJ65,XijS`cDT@YmV9VRVeUf!0UeM(5YDbQ[8LMEc)0Jd*J!1%NJ)L)D4#'-)

3EdbN)U$mKekc#C9F+P55KGaF3ak5eX!fdR-TS3NNi9S"!&JJNL%!J!J#@a!N!-#

b$G''!&$`Mh$m3a`#b)F!M$#!)a3!"313!1%f,BYCE@Tf*CSNJd(S'J#TRN"dG+A