[comp.sys.mac.apps] Visual Programming Tools for the Mac

fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) (12/20/90)

What's the consensus on "Visual Programming Tools" such as AppMaker (Bowers
Development), the trio of products by Serius, Prototyper (Smethers and
Barnes, formerly by Now Software), and Visual Interactive Programming
(Mainstay).  Are they completely bogus, or are they actually worth the money
to get them?  Does anyone have any demo versions or know where I can get them
online (an ftp site is preferably to waiting for the company to send it to me
via snail mail.)

Thanks

Howard Fore   fore@athena.cs.uga.edu    (128.192.4.49)

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (12/22/90)

In article<1990Dec19.224056.25805@athena.cs.uga.edu>,fore@athena.cs.uga.edu
  (Howard Fore) writes:
> What's the consensus on "Visual Programming Tools" such as AppMaker (Bowers
> Development), the trio of products by Serius, Prototyper (Smethers and
> Barnes, formerly by Now Software), and Visual Interactive Programming
> (Mainstay).  Are they completely bogus, or are they actually worth the money
> to get them?

I recall hearing vaguely good things about Prototyper and reports that
VIP isn't much more than a toy.  Can't cite--read this stuff 1+ yr. ago.

You might want to look into Prograph from TGS Systems.  It's not a visual
*tool* but a true visual language, using an object-oriented data-flow
paradigm ('object-flow').  I haven't used it a lot and figuring out how
the hell it works (conceptually) has made my head hurt at times, but it
seems pretty nifty.  There's an interpreter-only version (~$150*) plus a
version that includes a compiler (~$250*).  Even the compiled version is
pretty slow, but it has hooks to Think and MPW C.  In fact, you can build
new Prograph primitives in C and add them to the visual language.  (I think
you have to add C this way in the interpreter;  there are more options
with the compiler.)

You will go bats trying to use Prograph (probably any visual language,
actually) on a tinyMac 9" screen.  I am to blame for the recent thread
on big screens for Plus/SE/Classic-flavored Macs as the result of my
desire to solve this problem (which I haven't done yet).

I'm not willing yet to recommend Prograph as a real development tool
or as an application shell builder, but I think it's fascinating and
well worthwhile.

> Howard Fore   fore@athena.cs.uga.edu    (128.192.4.49)

*Prices from MacWarehouse etc.  I think most mail-order joints have it.
No idea whether there's a demo version.  I don't have manuals etc.
with me but can give you lead if you need.  I also have collection of
reviews;  I'll email if you want.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics & Modeling Lab
913-864-4428 or -4495	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
			University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

bill@gistdev.gist.com (Bill Busen) (12/23/90)

fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) writes:

>What's the consensus on "Visual Programming Tools" such as AppMaker (Bowers
>Development), the trio of products by Serius, Prototyper (Smethers and
>Barnes, formerly by Now Software), and Visual Interactive Programming
>(Mainstay).  Are they completely bogus, or are they actually worth the money

Prototyper and AppMaker generate C or Pascal code for Think or MPW.
I've used Prototyper 2.1 and like it.  Version 3.0 is out now but does not
support the Think C Class Library yet.  If you're a Pascal programmer, press
'n' now. :-)  AppMaker does support it, and got a glowing review in September
or October MacUser (I think 4-1/2 mice).  Both speed up development a lot and
as a side effect familiarize you with the Toolbox.  Also you are more inclined
to utilize the full Mac interface much earlier in the learning curve.  For
people in the position of learning Mac programming and TC 4.0 at the same time,
AppMaker sounds like a great deal.

>... Does anyone have any demo versions or know where I can get them
>online (an ftp site is preferably to waiting for the company to send it to me
>via snail mail.)

As of several months ago, Bowers and Smethers/Barnes had active presences on
the CompuServe Mac forums.  Demos and unadvertised specials were available,
as well as on-line tech support.  I haven't seen an ftp reference.

Bill Busen				bill@gistdev.com
Global Info. Systems Tech.		(217) 352-1165
Savoy, IL 61874

teener@apple.com (Michael Teener) (01/05/91)

Another very interesting visual programming system for the Mac is National
Instruments' LabView.  Although largely intended for lab equipment control
and data analysis, it *is* in fact a general purpose programming
environment ... just with a very powerful data analysis library.  If what you want to do is engineering or scientific applications this is particularly useful. They have a low cost (maybe even free) demo that you can get by
calling them at (512)794-0100 or (800)IEEE-488.

These are nice people, and very smart.  Ask for their "bouncing cube"
demo, which shows some rather amazing animation for an interpreter.

---- Michael Teener -- 408-974-3521 ---------------------------------+
---- Internet teener@apple.com, AppleLink TEENER                     |
---- Apple may know my opinions, but *I* am responsible for them     |
Transportation by Cheetah N9900U, a loyal beast for the past 7.5 years.