[comp.sys.mac.apps] 3 Questions

umkeefe@king.mcs.drexel.edu (Michael T. Keefe) (01/08/91)

1)  When running a communications program under multifinder is there a
problem switching to a different application while in mid-download or
mid-upload?  I'm currently using MacKNOWLEDGE.

2)  Has there been any recent news on when System 7.0 is being released?

3)  Does multifinder actually run several applications at the same time.
Well, at does it at least appear to do this.  I know it can't really, but
I'm looking for the semblance of it.

-MIKE

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan7.171926.297@king.mcs.drexel.edu> umkeefe@king.mcs.drexel.edu (Michael T. Keefe) writes:
|1)  When running a communications program under multifinder is there a
|problem switching to a different application while in mid-download or
|mid-upload?  I'm currently using MacKNOWLEDGE.

That depends on a lot of things, including:

	a. the program you're using.
	b. the number of other applications running at the time, and what
	   they're doing
	c. what you want to do while the download goes on

In general terms, yes, this is possible.  I do this with White Knight all the
time.  Your MacKnowledge manual should tell you whether or not MacKnowledge is
capable of this feat.

If your telecommunications program allows you to do this, you will then be at
the mercy of the other application you're using as to whether it works or not.
MultiFinder is a "cooperative" mutil-tasking environment.  What this means is
that the multi-tasking feature is dependent upon applications cooperating with
each other and giving up time to background processes.  If you send your
download to the background and start using some bad-citizen CPU hog, your
transfer will probably fail, through no fault of the telecom program.  Stuffit
1.5.1 has killed a few downloads for me.

Be advised that even in the best case doing this will slow the download to a
degree.

|2)  Has there been any recent news on when System 7.0 is being released?

The "first half of 1991" is the last news I've heard.|

|3)  Does multifinder actually run several applications at the same time.
|Well, at does it at least appear to do this.  I know it can't really, but
|I'm looking for the semblance of it.

Yes, it appears to.

I refuse to add fuel to the "Does it _actually_ do this" flame war that is
sure to follow your innocent question.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (01/08/91)

umkeefe@king.mcs.drexel.edu (Michael T. Keefe) writes:

> 1)  When running a communications program under multifinder is there a
> problem switching to a different application while in mid-download or
> mid-upload?  I'm currently using MacKNOWLEDGE.

No, there is no problem switching to a different application while
downloading (or uploading) under MultiFinder. That is, if your
communication program supports background events. Some take a real hit when
you switch to something else. I don't know about MacKnowledge, it should
mention whether or not background up/downloading is a supported feature
somewhere in the manuals.

> 2)  Has there been any recent news on when System 7.0 is being released?

System 7.0 is expected to be released middle of 1991.

> 3)  Does multifinder actually run several applications at the same time.
> Well, at does it at least appear to do this.  I know it can't really, but
> I'm looking for the semblance of it.

It all depends on how MultiFinder friendly your applications are.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta