[comp.sys.mac.apps] Formatting Problems w/ Word 4.0 between 2 Macs

nino@agora.uucp (John Canino) (12/28/90)

I am having a problem.  I do work for my college library, but we don't
have a laser printer (currently) at our disposal.  So, I usually go across
campus to do my printing.

The problem is, even though the fonts are the same on both machines, and
the sizes, etc., my formatting is getting screwed up.  Columns are getting
truncated, etc.  Am I missing somthing? :-)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

--
Snail: John M Canino        Quote: People are never   Net: nino@agora.rain.com
       924 SW 16th #404            unsure of anything,     nino@agora.uucp

John.Canino@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Canino) (12/28/90)

I am having a problem.  I do work for my college library, but we don't
have a laser printer (currently) at our disposal.  So, I usually go across
campus to do my printing.

The problem is, even though the fonts are the same on both machines, and
the sizes, etc., my formatting is getting screwed up.  Columns are getting
truncated, etc.  Am I missing somthing? :-)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

--
Snail: John M Canino        Quote: People are never   Net: nino@agora.rain.com
       924 SW 16th #404            unsure of anything,     nino@agora.uucp
       Portland, OR 97205          they just change        A/O: Nino1
       +1(503) 274-4223            their minds.            MCI: Coming Soon!

--
John Canino - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.Canino

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (12/29/90)

nino@agora.uucp (John Canino) writes:

>I am having a problem.  I do work for my college library, but we don't
>have a laser printer (currently) at our disposal.  So, I usually go across
>campus to do my printing.

>The problem is, even though the fonts are the same on both machines, and
>the sizes, etc., my formatting is getting screwed up.  Columns are getting
>truncated, etc.  Am I missing somthing? :-)

I guess you're using a laserwriter on the other end... Make sure that you select
laserwriter from the chooser on the machine in the library, where you create the
docs. The printable page area differs between the image and laserwriters, and
your machine must be calculating margins using the imagewriter settings.

Mark Lanett

drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.074456.4437@agora.uucp> nino@agora.uucp (John Canino) writes:
>I am having a problem.  I do work for my college library, but we don't
>have a laser printer (currently) at our disposal.  So, I usually go across
>campus to do my printing.
>
>The problem is, even though the fonts are the same on both machines, and
>the sizes, etc., my formatting is getting screwed up.  Columns are getting
>truncated, etc.  Am I missing somthing? :-)
>
>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
>
>--
>Snail: John M Canino        Quote: People are never   Net: nino@agora.rain.com
>       924 SW 16th #404            unsure of anything,     nino@agora.uucp
>       Portland, OR 97205          they just change        A/O: Nino1
>       +1(503) 274-4223            their minds.            MCI: Coming Soon!

Fonts for laserprinter are slightly different due to the different dots/in.,
so doucment is formatted lightly differently if you format with a laserwriter
driver or, say, an imagewriter one.

Solution is simple.  In your mac, even though it's not connected to a
laserwriter, put a laserwriter driver (comes on apple system release disks,
printing tools disk) in your system folder, and select it with chooser.
Then, what you'll see in word (and presumably other such applications) will
be the same way it will print when you carry your floppy over to the machine
with the laserwriter.

Happy New Year.

-Drew

--
----
Drew Wade

lanett.mark@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (lanett mark) (12/29/90)

nino@agora.uucp (John Canino) writes:

>I am having a problem.  I do work for my college library, but we don't
>have a laser printer (currently) at our disposal.  So, I usually go across
>campus to do my printing.

>The problem is, even though the fonts are the same on both machines, and
>the sizes, etc., my formatting is getting screwed up.  Columns are getting
>truncated, etc.  Am I missing somthing? :-)

I guess you're using a laserwriter on the other end... Make sure that you select
laserwriter from the chooser on the machine in the library, where you create
the
docs. The printable page area differs between the image and laserwriters, and
your machine must be calculating margins using the imagewriter settings.

Mark Lanett

--
lanett mark - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!lanett.mark

sdpage@client2.comlab (Stephen Page) (01/08/91)

I have had similar problems with Word 4.0. I think there may be some "features"
which relate to different definitions of "Normal" style on the two machines.
Try rebuilding them from the master disks - this made my problem go away.
One problem with public-access machines is that users sometimes accidentally
click on "Set Default", storing strange settings into "Normal".

marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Stephen Marder) (01/09/91)

   Have you tried taking a copy of your Word Settings (4) file with you
when you go to use the other Mac, then double-clicking on it BEFORE you
run any Word programs?
--
Stephen Marder                              Department of Russian
Domain: marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz               Victoria University of Wellington

marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Stephen Marder) (01/09/91)

   Have you tried taking a copy of your Word Settings (4) file with you
when you go to work on the second Mac, then double-clicking on it BEFORE
you run Word?