[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word Questions

clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Gruneberg) (01/07/91)

I've got 2 questions for any MS Word gurus out there. Here goes:

1. While using an Apple Extended Keyboard during an MS Word
editing session how can I make use of the numeric keypad? If
I hit one of the number keys now strange things happen on the
screen.

2. What is the best way to define the function keys on the
Extended Keyboard for use during an MS Word editing session?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig
--
Craig Lee Gruneberg    [clg@cs.psu.edu]|  333 Whitmore Laboratory
Penn State University                  |

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (01/08/91)

clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Gruneberg) writes:

>I've got 2 questions for any MS Word gurus out there. Here goes:
>1. While using an Apple Extended Keyboard during an MS Word
>editing session how can I make use of the numeric keypad? If
>I hit one of the number keys now strange things happen on the
>screen.

The Clear key toggles between the keypad as a numeric pad and cursor pad (a la
original IBM PC). The toggle stays the way you leave when you quit and restart,
so it can be a keypad forever if you want.

>2. What is the best way to define the function keys on the
>Extended Keyboard for use during an MS Word editing session?

I don't use them-they're too far away; I just redefine all the normal keys
(take a look at the Commands command under Edit in Full Menus mode).

>Thanks

You're welcome.

Mark Lanett.

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (01/08/91)

In article <Fsae-b34@cs.psu.edu> clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Gruneberg) writes:
>I've got 2 questions for any MS Word gurus out there. Here goes:
>
>1. While using an Apple Extended Keyboard during an MS Word
>editing session how can I make use of the numeric keypad? If
>I hit one of the number keys now strange things happen on the
>screen.

	Hit the "num lock/clear" key first. Then you will be able
	to use the numeric keypad to enter numbers.

>2. What is the best way to define the function keys on the
>Extended Keyboard for use during an MS Word editing session?

	I hope this doesn't get taken in a wrong way, but why
	don't you experiment to determine what works best for
	you. Use the Commands entry in the Edit menu to set up the
	function keys to work the way you want them to.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (01/09/91)

clg@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Craig Gruneberg) writes:

>I've got 2 questions for any MS Word gurus out there. Here goes:

>1. While using an Apple Extended Keyboard during an MS Word
>editing session how can I make use of the numeric keypad? If
>I hit one of the number keys now strange things happen on the
>screen.

>2. What is the best way to define the function keys on the
>Extended Keyboard for use during an MS Word editing session?

>Any help will be appreciated.

>Thanks
>Craig
>--
>Craig Lee Gruneberg    [clg@cs.psu.edu]|  333 Whitmore Laboratory
>Penn State University                  |
>Department of Computer Science         |  Watch for Hubble repair
>University Park, PA   16802            |  updates here....

Do, please do, read the manual. Also, keypad stickers come with the
legitimate Word (you ARE using a legit copy, aren't you :-) that
identify the keys. The stop activates the menus, which is the most useful
shortcut.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au