[comp.sys.mac.apps] WriteNow - $69.95 limited time offer!

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/10/91)

Just got this in the mail:

Announcing!  A limited time offer to owners of MacWrite, Work, and Works;
upgrade to WriteNow 2.2 for a special low price of $69.95.  Also included
at a no extra charge is Grammatik Mac 2.0 (a grammar-checker) and a
clip art utility.  The offer expires on January 31, 1991.

WriteNow 2.2 is a compact (124K) word-processor that has won "Best" honors
in several computer publications.  I won't do their advertising for them,
but the general thrust is that WriteNow is fast and reasonably full-featured.
Perhaps someone who uses WriteNow regularly would care to fill in the details?

The mailing indicates that the offer is being made to *owners* of other
word-processing packages and the mail-in coupon requests that one
include a photocopy of your Word disks or manual cover.  I happen to
be a registered Word user (and sick of it ...) but when I called the
toll-free order number -- 1-800-522-5939 -- to place my order, I noticed
that they never asked if I owned one of the other packages.

Your mileage may difference, but this seems like a great deal to me!
I also considered Nisus, by the way.  I received a demo disk from Paragon
recently and was very impressed; it's powerful, intuitive, and unfortunately,
ENORMOUS.  The macros are great, but for my needs the software seems to
move in the wrong direction.  The integrated technical drawing procedures
seemed to run counter to the Multifinder work-style that I prefer.
With the memory that saved by going with WriteNow, one could afford to
leave a graphics package loaded continuously.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

moorej@cpsin2.uucp (Jeffrey R Moore) (01/10/91)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>Announcing!  A limited time offer to owners of MacWrite, Work, and Works;
>upgrade to WriteNow 2.2 for a special low price of $69.95.  Also included
>at a no extra charge is Grammatik Mac 2.0 (a grammar-checker) and a
>clip art utility.  The offer expires on January 31, 1991.

	I wonder if its possible for those of us who already own
WriteNow to pick up this extra software, cheap?  I bought my copy from
someone who was upgrading to Nisus, and haven't transfered the license
yet, so I don't get the literature.

>I also considered Nisus, by the way.  I received a demo disk from Paragon
>recently and was very impressed; it's powerful, intuitive, and unfortunately,
>ENORMOUS.  The macros are great, but for my needs the software seems to

	I've been doing some DTP on the side in nisus, and I have to say
that I am also very impressed.  The more that I use nisus, the more I
like it.  I have only found a few things wrong with it (E-mail me for a
list), but their attention to detail and consistancy in the user
interface is amazing.  Ever since I accidentally pasted a graphic into
the find/replace dialog and had the graphic appear (Yes, It seems to
search and replace on graphics), amazing is a word that I have used alot
to describe nisus.

	Both programs are really good.  Choosing between the two, its
hard to go wrong.

====== Jeff Moore <---> moorej@cpsin.cps.msu.edu ======

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.045244.16256@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> moorej@cpsin2.uucp (Jeffrey R Moore) writes:
#>johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
#>>Announcing!  A limited time offer to owners of MacWrite, Work, and Works;
#>>upgrade to WriteNow 2.2 for a special low price of $69.95.  Also included
#>>at a no extra charge is Grammatik Mac 2.0 (a grammar-checker) and a
#>>clip art utility.  The offer expires on January 31, 1991.
#>
#>	I wonder if its possible for those of us who already own
#>WriteNow to pick up this extra software, cheap?  I bought my copy from
#>someone who was upgrading to Nisus, and haven't transfered the license
#>yet, so I don't get the literature.

The offer was sent to registered WriteNow owners. I got one and
sent away for it. I think it was cheaper to just get Grammatik,
but I've forgotten what we paid.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley