[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word file bombs

aku@vanha.tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) (01/10/91)

A short sad story:
I have edited a word file with Word 4.0. I saved the file.
Next day I tried to open the file. Word 4.0 started, but
soon it shut down.

I opened Word. I tried to open my file. Word shut down.
There is no way to open this file with Word 4.0.

How can I fix this file?

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (01/11/91)

In article <5321@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, aku@vanha.tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
|> A short sad story:
|> I have edited a word file with Word 4.0. I saved the file.
|> Next day I tried to open the file. Word 4.0 started, but
|> soon it shut down.
|>
|> I opened Word. I tried to open my file. Word shut down.
|> There is no way to open this file with Word 4.0.

I had this happen to me, too!  I figured it was a result of a
bad floppy or something.

	--Mark

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) (01/11/91)

aku@vanha.tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:

>A short sad story:
>I have edited a word file with Word 4.0. I saved the file.
>Next day I tried to open the file. Word 4.0 started, but
>soon it shut down.

>I opened Word. I tried to open my file. Word shut down.
>There is no way to open this file with Word 4.0.

>How can I fix this file?

Use a file editor and change the type to TEXT. You will lose your formatting
and/or graphics, but your text should be intact.

If have it, use PageMaker 4.0 or QuarkExpress 3.0 to import then export it back
out again. Hope this works.

Enjoy.

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au