[comp.sys.mac.apps] Page Orientation in MS WORD

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan9.041732.7516@midway.uchicago.edu> xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
|In article <1991Jan9.163621.2646@waikato.ac.nz> chem2102@waikato.ac.nz writes:
|>Does anyone know how it is possible to have
|>pages in both portrait and landscape orientations within a single
|>document.
|
|You can't. The way I handle this situation is to put in a blank page
|at that point so the page number will print correctly, then take that
|page and send it through the printer a second time to put the table
|on it in landscape orientation.
|
|Another idea.  Build the table in a program like MacDraw, rotate it
|90 degrees, and then bring it in as a graphic on the page in question.

Another idea, which should give you correct page numbers without double-feeding
any sheets.

Maintain several documents, and use the "Next File" feature to put them
together during printing.  You'd have something like this:

File#1 [title page, TOC, intro, some of chapter 1]
File#2 [one page, a landscape table]
File#3 [more of chapter 1]
File#4 [two pages, two landscape table]
File#5 [the rest of Chapter 1, blah blah blah]
...and so on...

Youw wouldn't have to split it up like this until you were doing your final'
formatting.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/10/91)

chem2102@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>Does anyone know how it is possible to have pages in both
>portrait and landscape orientations within a single document.

The trick to accomplish this is to create separate documents and
to link them with the "next file" feature found in the format
document dialog box. (There are, by the way, other reasons like
speed, security, etc. for *not* making a complete thesis or book one huge
Word document/file; always a good idea to keep things in small
portions, chapters or even sections of chapters.)

For the purposes of mixing page orientations, your first file would be
all the text before the table that needs to be landscape, this file has its
next file set as the table file (which has its page setup set for landscape).
The table file has its next file set as the file that has the text that
follows the table and the page setup is set back to portrait. All files
after the first one should have their "number pages from" in the format
document dialog box deleted; when the "number pages from" is empty, the
document takes its pagination from the previous document that points to
it with its "next file." If all the documents are printed together, or when
a Table of Contents is compiled, there is one continuous pagination. You
can also, if the files are being printed separately for some reason, set
the "number pages from" to whatever the last page of the previously printed
file was.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

gregoret@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Lydia) (01/10/91)

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>The trick to accomplish this is to create separate documents and
>to link them with the "next file" feature found in the format
>document dialog box. (There are, by the way, other reasons like
>speed, security, etc. for *not* making a complete thesis or book one huge
>Word document/file; always a good idea to keep things in small
>portions, chapters or even sections of chapters.)

I am also writing a thesis using MSWord with EndNote.  There is a
potential unfortunate problem with the "next file" linking, and that is
that EndNote doesn't know how to deal with the Word links (at least
version 1.2.1 does not).  Instead one must link the documents from
within EndNote (with "open next").  Since I like to print a rough draft
of the linked documents several times before doing the final
bibliographic formatting in EndNote, this is a pain because I have to
to have to open each document in turn and print it.  I guess the
solution is to link the documents with "next file" and then unlink them
just before formatting the references with EndNote.  I don't know what
happens to page numbering in this case.

On a related note, I have always wondered if MS Word could be
programmed to include the option of printing two pages side-by-side on
one page in landscape mode.  Sortof like "enscript -2r".  The margins
and type size would shrink automatically.  Are there any mac word
processors which can do this?

Lydia gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (01/11/91)

From article <1991Jan9.163621.2646@waikato.ac.nz>, by chem2102@waikato.ac.nz:
> I am currently involved in trying to write a thesis using MS Word.  A
> number of my tables are very large, but fit on an A4 page if it is
> orientated on its side.  Does anyone know how it is possible to have
> pages in both portrait and landscape orientations within a single
> document.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Not that it answers the question, but ...

Can applications such as Pagemaker do this? No, I've never used
Pagemaker.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll

vthrc@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au (Danny Thomas) (01/11/91)

> I am currently involved in trying to write a thesis using MS Word.  A
> number of my tables are very large, but fit on an A4 page if it is
> orientated on its side.  Does anyone know how it is possible to have
> pages in both portrait and landscape orientations within a single
> document.  Thanks in advance for any help.

My immediate thought was to use a linked set of files, as others have
suggested. One problem with this is that page numbers will come out
landscaped as well.
    On a slightly different issue, at some stage I wrote some PostScript
stuff that enables selection, on a page-by-page basis, between manual and automatic paper feed (on a LaserWriter). I did this for letters so the first page was done on letterhead manually fed, while subsequent ones came from the paper tray - having multibin printer would be nice sometimes. This could probably be hacked to alter the coordinate system to correspond to landscape
printing but the big difference is that Word would have made page layout
decisions for portrait orientation, i.e. width, though you could probably set a negative right margin to match the page width of landscape.
  Perhaps another way would be to bracket the table with PostScript that
does a rotate/position and restore? That would leave the page number
correctly placed. It may be the best approach if you can deal with
PostScript, particularly the restrictions when embedding it in Word docs.

>The trick to accomplish this is to create separate documents and
>to link them with the "next file" feature found in the format
>document dialog box. (There are, by the way, other reasons like
>speed, security, etc. for *not* making a complete thesis or book one huge
>Word document/file; always a good idea to keep things in small
>portions, chapters or even sections of chapters.)

 I agree that keeping a large document in several files has many
advantages, but one limitation is that styles aren't linked, nor
presumably any other parameter stored on a per-file basis.

[another person warned that EndNote 1.2.1 doesn't handle linked docs]
It's a pity companion programs like EndNote won't follow the linked file
structure of a Word document. Does anyone know whether Mac Word 5 (I do
wish vendors supporting multiple platforms could keep the version numbers
in sync) will support proper handling of references as well as the announced grammar-checking? Does anyone even know when the next Word is going to be released, some wishes:
* much better math layout (not that I need it, but a beta release of
MathWriter 2 looked pretty impressive)
* distinction between sections (a formatting unit to control num columns etc.) and chapters, a document unit. Also to allow chapter numbers and page number
within chapter to be included in header/footer
* much better spell checking which allows specification of variations like
pluralization so you don't have to clutter a dictionary up with
plural/adjective/etc forms and all combinations thereof
* much faster handling of tables
* genuine PostScript output: relying on the LaserWriter driver and
suggesting a program can be used for DTP are mutually incompatible
* better printer control. The original query is one example, another is
control between manual/automatic feed on a per-page basis. Also a more
flexible specification of pages, e.g. print 5-7,11,55-73 (will this arrive
in System 7.1(?) with the new print manager?)
* flexible macros
* better positioning control, such as specification of the page number
* styles on the character level
* and I could go on and on, nevertheless I do use Word and appreciate many
of its' features, but I confess to have not really sampled much else
except for brief looks at PageMaker 3 and MacWriteII. Maybe I should have
a look at Nisus.

Danny Thomas
Vision, Touch and Hearing Research Centre
University of Queensland

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (01/11/91)

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) writes:

>From article <1991Jan9.163621.2646@waikato.ac.nz>, by chem2102@waikato.ac.nz:
>> I am currently involved in trying to write a thesis using MS Word.  A
>> number of my tables are very large, but fit on an A4 page if it is
>> orientated on its side.  Does anyone know how it is possible to have
>> pages in both portrait and landscape orientations within a single
>> document.  Thanks in advance for any help.

>Not that it answers the question, but ...

>Can applications such as Pagemaker do this? No, I've never used
>Pagemaker.

No, but I think Xpress 3.0 can.

BTW, congratulations on the new arrival.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/11/91)

"
"Not that it answers the question, but ...
"
"Can applications such as Pagemaker do this? No, I've never used
"Pagemaker.

I believe FrameMaker is the only Mac application that can do this.

Shirley Kehr