[comp.sys.mac.apps] Using Freedom of Press on Mac

eiswirth@vixvax.mgi.com (Steve Eiswirth) (01/11/91)

Does anyone have experience using the software Freedom of Press to send
postscript files on the Mac hard drive over a parellel interface for
imaging on an HP LaserJet?

We are investigating this option where I work.  Thanks in advance for
any help/advice you can offer.

Steve.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.143930.630@vixvax.mgi.com> eiswirth@vixvax.mgi.com (Steve Eiswirth) writes:
> Does anyone have experience using the software Freedom of Press to send
> postscript files on the Mac hard drive over a parellel interface for
> imaging on an HP LaserJet?

I use FOP-Light to send PS files to my Epson EPL-6000.  It is a LaserJet II
clone with a serial port.  It works real well, and has a chooser level
driver, but it is rather slow (even on a IIsi) and using a serial printer
disables AppleTalk.

>We are investigating this option where I work.

I wouldn't bother trying FOP in a work environment.  It is so slow that
you will lose quite a bit of productivity.  Considering the cost of lost
productivity and the price of the software and parallel port board,
especially with system 7 coming up (ie, you will probably have a small
upgrade nightmare), you would be better off buying a postscript printer.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john