[comp.sys.mac.apps] GateKeeper vetos StuffIt Classic Self-UnStuffer?

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (01/11/91)

In article <OGAWA.91Jan11180358@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:

   From: ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
   Date: 11 Jan 91 09:03:58 GMT
   Sender: news@sm.sony.co.jp

     I tried to attach  "Self-UnStuffer" codes into a new (empty) archive
   file of StuffIt Classic 1.6

     Then GateKeeper refuses it. I checked all check boxes of GateKeeper
   Priviledge control for StuffIt Class in vain.
     Only when I turned off the GateKeeper with "Override" button, I can
   get Self-Unstuffing archive.

     Is there anyone who has the same problem?

   Masato Ogawa					Sony corp.

   ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp				Tokyo, Japan

Unfortunately, this is true of all self-extracting archives, and it's my main
complaint against making such archives a standard download format.  To work
around it, you have three options: (1) Override GateKeeper while uncompacting
the archive, (2) grant res(file) privelages to the archive itself, or (3) if
you have a copy of UnstuffIt Classic or UnstuffIt Deluxe, open the archive
with one of those, instead of by double-clicking it.

								Enjoy! :-)

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (01/12/91)

In article <LEE.91Jan11102533@quincy.cs.umass.edu> lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) writes:
 > Unfortunately, this is true of all self-extracting archives, and it's my main
 > complaint against making such archives a standard download format.  To work

No, what I said is about making self-extracting archives, not
de-archiving.

  With Compactor 1.21, I have no problem to make self-extracting
archive and to de-archive .sea with GateKeeper.  What I guess is that
for Compactor, real file is made when to "Close".But For StuffIt
Classic, "New Archive" creates real file at that time. So to attach
"Self-Unstuffing" code is really to attach a code resource to the file
like virus does.

  GateKeeper's message is:

	GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by StuffIt Classic to
	violate "Res(Other)" privileges agains Archive.sit.
	[ AddResource(DODE, 2) ]

So I checked "Other - Res" in GateKeeper's list for StuffIt Classic.
But still GateKeeper refused to make self-unstuffing archive. So I
checked all check-boxes, but ...

  Which has the problem, GateKeeper or StuffIt Classic?

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (01/14/91)

   From: ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
   Date: 12 Jan 91 04:46:18 GMT
   Sender: news@sm.sony.co.jp

   In article <LEE.91Jan11102533@quincy.cs.umass.edu> lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) writes:
    > Unfortunately, this is true of all self-extracting archives, and it's my main
    > complaint against making such archives a standard download format.  To work

   No, what I said is about making self-extracting archives, not
   de-archiving.

My applologies for misinterpreting your question!

     With Compactor 1.21, I have no problem to make self-extracting
   archive and to de-archive .sea with GateKeeper.  What I guess is that
   for Compactor, real file is made when to "Close".But For StuffIt
   Classic, "New Archive" creates real file at that time. So to attach
   "Self-Unstuffing" code is really to attach a code resource to the file
   like virus does.

     GateKeeper's message is:

	   GateKeeper has vetoed an attempt by StuffIt Classic to
	   violate "Res(Other)" privileges agains Archive.sit.
	   [ AddResource(DODE, 2) ]

   So I checked "Other - Res" in GateKeeper's list for StuffIt Classic.
   But still GateKeeper refused to make self-unstuffing archive. So I
   checked all check-boxes, but ...

     Which has the problem, GateKeeper or StuffIt Classic?

Is it possible that you have a naming problem in GateKeeper?  I've had
problems before when upgrading to new software because I've turned off
GateKeeper's "match beginnings" option, so "StuffIt Classic" in the GateKeeper
permission list wouldn't match "StuffIt Classic 1.6"...