[comp.sys.mac.apps] Superpaint and Word - objects lose alignments

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/14/91)

 THE PLAYERS: Superpaint 2.0 and Word 4.0

 THE SCENARIO: Create an object-oriented graphic in Superpaint. Paste it into
 Word. Cut the graphic from Word, paste it back into Superpaint. The object
 alignments are all screwed up!

 THE QUESTION: Whodunnit? How can it be fixed?

 I remember this being discussed some time back, but I can't remember the
 resolution.

 Thanks!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (01/15/91)

In article <18907@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

|>  THE PLAYERS: Superpaint 2.0 and Word 4.0
|>
|>  THE SCENARIO: Create an object-oriented graphic in Superpaint. Paste it into
|>  Word. Cut the graphic from Word, paste it back into Superpaint. The object
|>  alignments are all screwed up!
|>
|>  THE QUESTION: Whodunnit? How can it be fixed?

THE ANSWER: Apple.  I believe the problem you are encountering is that the
clipboard format only supports alignment with a precision of 1/72 inch.  If
some of the items created in your Superpaint document are not aligned to a
1/72 inch grid, then copying to the clipboard forces to that grid, and when
you paste it in somewhere else, well, you get the idea.  I hope that one of the
improvements in System 7 is to allow cutting and pasting with an accuracy of
at least 1/300 inch.

	--Mark

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/15/91)

In article <61466@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
|In article <18907@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
||>  THE SCENARIO: Create an object-oriented graphic in Superpaint. Paste it into
||>  Word. Cut the graphic from Word, paste it back into Superpaint. The object
||>  alignments are all screwed up!
||>
||>  THE QUESTION: Whodunnit? How can it be fixed?
|
|THE ANSWER: Apple.  I believe the problem you are encountering is that the
|clipboard format only supports alignment with a precision of 1/72 inch....

Actually, this sounds like the problem that upgrade 4.0B (or 4.00B)
was created to fix.  You don't say what "all screwed up" means, but if
you still have the original 4.00 Word you probably need to upgrade
(they should send you one free).  The problem was with pictures pasted
into word, copied out and pasted back into the graphics program.

	/JBL
=

Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

cfejm@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (John Miller) (01/15/91)

In article <62085@bbn.BBN.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:

>|THE ANSWER: Apple.  I believe the problem you are encountering is that the
>|clipboard format only supports alignment with a precision of 1/72 inch....
>
>Actually, this sounds like the problem that upgrade 4.0B (or 4.00B)
>was created to fix.  You don't say what "all screwed up" means, but if
>you still have the original 4.00 Word you probably need to upgrade
>(they should send you one free).  The problem was with pictures pasted
>into word, copied out and pasted back into the graphics program.
>
>	/JBL
>=

Our problem is similar--but does anybody have a fix?  The situation:

We use a music notation program called MusicProse (Generates postscript
with proprietary fonts).  PICTS clipped from MusicProse files and pasted
into Word 4 print on a Laserwriter fine (300dpi resolution) but are
often slightly inaccurate.  Notes are often printed 1 pixel row higher
than they should fall on the staff lines, and vertical lines (note stems)
are often consistently wider (say, 2 pixel columns instead of 1) than they
should be.

The notation is readable, of course, but not perfect, as it is when
printed directly from MusicProse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
John Miller
Music Theory

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/16/91)

In article <62085@bbn.BBN.COM>, levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes...

[screwy object alignments between Word and Superpaint]

>Actually, this sounds like the problem that upgrade 4.0B (or 4.00B)
>was created to fix.  You don't say what "all screwed up" means, but if

 I don't think so. The problem occurs with Word 4.00C as well as the original
 4.0. Object alignment ends up being off by as much as 3/4 of an inch.