[comp.sys.mac.apps] American Heritage Dictionary for Macs

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (01/15/91)

I was browsing in the bookstore today and discovered that there is a
Macintosh version of the American Heritage Dictionary, complete with a
thesaurus.  Does anybody have any experience with this?  Is it any
good?  Is it worth the 3MB of disk space that it occupies?

Hal Perkins                 hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/15/91)

In article <50722@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>I was browsing in the bookstore today and discovered that there is a
>Macintosh version of the American Heritage Dictionary, complete with a
>thesaurus.  Does anybody have any experience with this?  Is it any
>good?  Is it worth the 3MB of disk space that it occupies?

I second the motion for feedback from anyone who's used it. The American
Heritage is one of my favorite dictionaries--the Usage Notes alone are
worth the price of admission for me, as I like to use the word with just
the right connotation, and the book is full of notes comparing flavors A
through Z of a word and distinguishing the nuances.

I haven't had any luck finding it through the big Mac mail-order houses,
so far. Hal, maybe if you and I start a phone-in campaign...?

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (01/16/91)

In article <50722@cornell.UUCP>, hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:

> I was browsing in the bookstore today and discovered that there is a
> Macintosh version of the American Heritage Dictionary, complete with a
> thesaurus.  Does anybody have any experience with this?  Is it any
> good?  Is it worth the 3MB of disk space that it occupies?

I'd say yes.  It's a great dictionary, it supports wildcard searches and
anagrams, plus it has etymologies, which I haven't seen elsewhere.  Within
a definition window, double clicking on a word defines that word, etc.
Check it out.

==>MC/BCS*Mac          costello@world.std.com
==>617-631-8188