[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacWrite 5.0 help

cyn@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (Cyndi Smith) (01/16/91)

I know this has been convered before and probably noone else has any
interest in MW 5.0 anymore anyway so...please email responses.
Some friends of mine are having a problem with the MW 5.0 spell-checker.
Whenever they invoke it and tell it to check the document, it promptly
erases the document.  Not good.
Someone tested it with a file containing:
          The rain in Spaine falls mainly on the plain.
The checker came up and said Spaine was misspelled and then locked up
(after erasing the document).
I recommended upgrading to MW II or some other word processor, but they (a
university newspaper and yearbook staff) LIKE MW 5.0.
I remember this being discussed long ago on the net, but I don't remember
the fix.
HELP!
Thanks.

Cyndi Smith
cyn@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu
My opinions are MINE, I tell you, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE!
(Unless you wish to rent them for an appropriate fee...)

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (01/17/91)

In article <4573@lib.tmc.edu> cyn@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (Cyndi Smith) writes:

>Some friends of mine are having a problem with the MW 5.0 spell-checker.
>Whenever they invoke it and tell it to check the document, it promptly
>erases the document.  Not good.

MacWrite 5.0 only works with system 6.0.3 and earlier.  On 6.0.4 and beyond
it is known to eat documents.

>I recommended upgrading to MW II or some other word processor, but they (a
>university newspaper and yearbook staff) LIKE MW 5.0.

So do I, it's much simpler than MacWrite II.  MacWrite II is more like MS Word
with a liveable interface :-).  I think Claris should modify MacWrite II to
work with later systems, and sell it to us poor folk who buy Classics to write
5-page college reports for about $100.  I think that was the price before MW II
came out at $295.

Dennis Lippert  - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu