[comp.sys.mac.apps] Right to left word processing?

PSYMRL@lure.latrobe.edu.au (01/10/91)

I have an Iranian font for processing on the mac.  Iranian (farsi)
is a language which uses right to left writing.

My question is does anyone know of a word-processor for the mac which
can write from right to left? I'm sure the same problem occurs for
processing other languages as well(e.g. Chinese, Arabic).

Thanks in advance
Michael LeGrande

ckagy@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Christopher Kagy) (01/11/91)

PSYMRL@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

>I have an Iranian font for processing on the mac.  Iranian (farsi)
>is a language which uses right to left writing.

The problem is a little more complex.  In farsi, the writing does
run from right to left, except in the case of numbers, which run
from left to right.  Makes it interesting, huh? :-)

>Thanks in advance
>Michael LeGrande

Chris Kagy
--
Chris Kagy                                    ckagy@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
               +--------------------------------+

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (01/17/91)

In article <4949@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, PSYMRL@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

> My question is does anyone know of a word-processor for the mac which
> can write from right to left? I'm sure the same problem occurs for
> processing other languages as well(e.g. Chinese, Arabic).

There were a number of programs listed on AppleLink:

AlKaatib
Eastern Language Systems; 39 West 300 North; Provo, UT  84601; 801-377-4558
		AlKaatib is a stand-alone, full-functioning right-to-left Arabic/Persian
		word processor.

AllScript
Davka Corp.; 845 N. Michigan Ave., Ste. 843; Chicago, IL  60611; 312-944-4070
		Hebrew/English word processor; compatible with all Apple Script Manager Systems
		(e.g., Arabic, Chinese)

WinText V2.04
Paradigm Computer Services; PO Box 1607; Cambridge, MA  02238; 617-661-7979
		Multilingual word processing program; works with all Apple International
		Systems

I'm not familiar with any of these programs.  The descriptions make it sound
as if the last 2 require the Script Manager with the appropriate System
Software (e.g., Arabic Hebrew, ...).   The first one sounds like it is
independent of the Script Manager.