[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacDraw Pen Pattern Problems

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (01/16/91)

At times, MacDraw refuses to use particular pen patterns
for text.

For example, I can use a pen pattern of solid yellow but
MacDraw refuses to use a pen pattern of yellow mixed with
white.  Also I cannot use any of the "grey" patterns that
are shown next to the black pen pattern.

Does anyone know if there is a work around?  I am using
MacDraw II v1.1.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <5571@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

> At times, MacDraw refuses to use particular pen patterns
> for text.
>
> For example, I can use a pen pattern of solid yellow but
> MacDraw refuses to use a pen pattern of yellow mixed with
> white.  Also I cannot use any of the "grey" patterns that
> are shown next to the black pen pattern.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a work around?  I am using
> MacDraw II v1.1.

MacDraw II refuses to use pen *patterns* for text *all* the time.
It does allow you to set a color (one of the eight old quickdraw colors)
for your text.  This is inherent in how MacDraw II does text.

MacDraw Pro was announced at MacWorld last week and it supports 24-bit
colors for text. To the best of my knowledge, you still can't apply
pen patterns to text.

Of course MacDraw Pro isn't shipping and only allah knows when it
will...

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

In article <1991Jan16.214731.6910@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) writes:

> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>
>   Does MacDraw Professional allow you to put arrows on the end of
> curved lines (e.g. arcs, freehand lines etc)?  This is one of my
> biggest gripes about all the drawing programs I've used so far...  you
> have to manually create a short arrow, and drag it painstakingly over
> the end of the non-arrowed curved line.
>
>   I believe that Canvas 3.0, shown at MacWorld, allows you to put
> arrows on almost anything.  Perhaps I should switch to that.

To the best of my knowledge :-) you can't put arrows on curved lines
in MacDraw Pro.

Anyone want to take bets on when either of these products is going
to ship - they both looked pretty far from it to me!

eclement@aragorn.inria.fr (Eric Clement) (01/17/91)

In article <0B010004.ef13pm@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

> In article <1991Jan16.214731.6910@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) writes:
> >
> > ............ stuff deleted..........
> >
> >   I believe that Canvas 3.0, shown at MacWorld, allows you to put
> > arrows on almost anything.  Perhaps I should switch to that.
>
> To the best of my knowledge :-) you can't put arrows on curved lines
> in MacDraw Pro.
>
> Anyone want to take bets on when either of these products is going
> to ship - they both looked pretty far from it to me!

We had exactly the same problems this morning and one more : drawing a dashed-line circle. After different trys, we can say :

- MacDraw II (1.1) knows dashes but don't makes dashes or arrows for anything else than lines.

- Canevas 2.0 makes arrows on arcs but not freehand lines and we have not find how to make dashes.

It's really a pitty to have to draw arrows and make dashed circles by grouping many small segments...

Does anyone knows a soft that can do this trivial things ?

Thanks.
		Eric.

PS : All software cited are french versions -> maybe differences in features against release number ???

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) (01/18/91)

eclement@aragorn.inria.fr (Eric Clement) writes:

>We had exactly the same problems this morning and one more : drawing a dashed-line circle. After different trys, we can say :

>- MacDraw II (1.1) knows dashes but don't makes dashes or arrows for anything else than lines.

>- Canevas 2.0 makes arrows on arcs but not freehand lines and we have not find how to make dashes.

>It's really a pitty to have to draw arrows and make dashed circles by grouping many small segments...

>Does anyone knows a soft that can do this trivial things ?

  From my quick glance at Canvas 3.0 [while running round Moscone,
trying to see everything :-|], it seemed like it could do dashed
everything, and arrowed everything....

  I seem to recall the demonstrator saying something like "People
asked us to put dashes and arrows on everything, so we did".. and
proceeding to demonstrate the various dashes and arrows options.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
grim?  They must be ...  very dim.