[comp.sys.mac.apps] C++ for Mac?

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (01/16/91)

I have heard there is a C++ compiler for the Mac.  Does anyone know
who sells it or if it is shareware out there?  Because my code reads
some information from a file and writes to a new file, it is no so
important to me that I can interact with the Mac interface as to be
able to download code that is developed on under Unix and compile it
with no change.

Thanks
--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (01/17/91)

In article <12995@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl)
writes:
> I have heard there is a C++ compiler for the Mac.  Does anyone know
> who sells it or if it is shareware out there?

Apple sells C++ for the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW). You can get
it from the Apple's Developer Tools Express at (800)282-2732.

Please note that I do not use C++. I use MPW with C and Fortran.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (01/20/91)

>In article <587@newave.UUCP> john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III):
JAW>  In addition to MPW C++, you might also want to check out Think
JAW> C 4.0. The documentation claims that it will not compile all
JAW> C++, a C++ should be able to compile Think C's object extensions.
JAW> If it is object oriented programming that you want rather than
JAW> strict C++, Think C 4.0 might do the trick. Think C is much easier
JAW> to work with than MPW unless you plan to spend a great deal of
JAW> time learning MPW.

Because Think C doesn't support the virtual keyword or private or protected members, there is very little C++ code that will compile out of the box.  For the same reason, while C++ can compile much Think C code, it won't do what it is expected to as Think C treats every method as virtual.