[comp.sys.mac.apps] Smooth Graphing Program?

phil@waikato.ac.nz (01/21/91)

In article <5609@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> I am trying to graph a single curve of data points and to end up
> with a smooth curve.  I have tried Wingz, Cricket Graph and StatView
> and they all generate a graph consisting of many discrete steps.
>
> THIS IS NOT staircasing in the true sense that is caused by the
> plot approaching the resolution of the printing device.  This
> lack of smoothness is much much coarser than 300dpi and appears
> to be caused by the programs themselves.
>
> I tried a set of simple geometric series data points with the same
> results.  Could it be caused by too much data or could it be
> caused by the type of line that is being used to join the points?

I think that's because they're working at QuickDraw resolution (i.e.
72 dpi).  KaleidaGraph lets you get around this by using the reduction
field in the LaserWriter Page Setup dialog (set to 25%).  Maybe this
will work for the others (or maybe you'll just get the whole thing
reduced...).
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /