[comp.sys.mac.apps] New StuffIt translator modules

marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Stephen Marder) (01/18/91)

   Reference was recently made in Info-Mac Digest to three new translator
modules for StuffIt Classic and StuffIt Deluxe: btoa/atob; DD expand; and
MacBinary (encode/decode). These are welcome additions; however, it would
appear that the MacBinary module is unable to do one thing: join and
decode hqx files in several parts. To do this quickly and efficiently the
DA BinHqx 1.02 should be used. Can anyone confirm this?

--
Stephen Marder                              Department of Russian
Domain: marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz               Victoria University of Wellington

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.171813.19497@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz
(Stephen Marder) writes...
>   Reference was recently made in Info-Mac Digest to three new translator
>modules for StuffIt Classic and StuffIt Deluxe: btoa/atob; DD expand; and
>MacBinary (encode/decode). These are welcome additions; however, it would
>appear that the MacBinary module is unable to do one thing: join and
>decode hqx files in several parts. To do this quickly and efficiently the
>DA BinHqx 1.02 should be used. Can anyone confirm this?

MacBinary == BinHex 5.0 format.  It does not support encoding/decoding
multipart files.  However, Binhex 5.0 format is not "hqx" format.
The files created with the MacBinary encoder are given the default file
name extension "mbin".  Frankly, I don't know what BinHex 5.0 is used for.

The BinHqx DA encodes/decodes multipart BinHex 4.0 files, as noted above.
However, all versions of StuffIt support BinHex 4.0 encoding/decode as
well as file segmentation and rejoining.  This means that "join and decode"
is a two part operation in StuffIt, so it certainly could be argued that
the BinHqx DA makes creation of multipart BinHex 4.0 files significantly easier.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

peter@viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (01/19/91)

In article <42005@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
|> MacBinary == BinHex 5.0 format.  It does not support encoding/decoding
|> multipart files.  However, Binhex 5.0 format is not "hqx" format.
|> The files created with the MacBinary encoder are given the default file
|> name extension "mbin".  Frankly, I don't know what BinHex 5.0 is used for.
|> -- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
	Well, I use Binhex 5.0 all the time! First, Binhex 5.0 format is a
raw MacBinary (I) file on the Mac. It is identical to a macbinary file on
UNIX or COMPUSERVE or .... (within architectural differences). This
Macbinary data is entirely contained within the data fork of the file.
Binhex 5.0 does locally exactly what most file transfer programs do when
downloading a binary file - it converts the Macbinary format into a real
Mac format file. It will also do the reverse AND it will decode Binhex 4.0
format as well.
	As to how I use it... I get a Mac file onto my local SparcStation
at work (usually via ftp over the internet.) If this file is in hqx format
I use mcvert to convert it to a binary file. I then use binary mode ftp to
move the file onto a PC (Novell Netware) file server which I can access
directly from a Mac which is also connected to the Novell server. I can
then use Binhex 5.0 to convert this binary file on the Novell server to a
real Mac file anywhere the mac can access. Simple, eh!

                ftp                ftp
	source ----> SparcStation -----> IBMPC             MAC
                                           \               /
                                            \             /
                                             \           /
                                              \         /
                                              file server

	Peter C
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (01/21/91)

In article <42005@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jan17.171813.19497@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, marder@rata.vuw.ac.nz
>(Stephen Marder) writes...
[...]
>MacBinary == BinHex 5.0 format.  It does not support encoding/decoding
>multipart files.  However, Binhex 5.0 format is not "hqx" format.
>The files created with the MacBinary encoder are given the default file
>name extension "mbin".  Frankly, I don't know what BinHex 5.0 is used for.

BinHex 5.0 is the program that introduced MacBinary. Back in the dark ages
of Macintosh telecommunications, a man named Yves Lempereur developed
BinHex 1,2,3,4 and 5. He is a principal of Mainstay and gave these
programs to the world. Usenet, having mail links that cannot transfer
8 bit data chose to remain at the BinHex 4.0 level.

For those who care about the history, BinHex 1 encoded the three parts
of a Macintosh file in ASCII, similar to uuencode. (three parts = data,
rsrc, and info).

BinHex 2,3 and 4 added better binary to ASCII maps, and some forms
of data compresssion.

BinHex 5.0 abandoned any attempt at binary to ASCII encoding because
it was no longer needed on the commercial networks. Yves proposed it
as a standard, and it was accepted by a committee composed of sysops
from several networks and terminal program vendors.

This became MacBinary. Later it became MacBinary I, when a similar
committee voted on a downward compatible extension called MacBinary II.
New capability was mainly the addition of the new Finder flags in the
header introduced with MultiFinder.

Back to the original statement:

	"Frankly, I don't know what BinHex 5.0 is used for."

Frankly, I'd be surprised if it's used for anything. Most modern
terminal emulators on the Mac provide the function. Most provide
the newer MacBinary II.

However, don't count it out totally. If you used something like
'mcvert' to create MacBinary files on your Usenet host, downloaded them
to a PC, carried them by floppy or something to your Mac, MacBinary 5.0
could decode them, only losing some of the newer Finder flags like
'MultiFinder Aware'.

>-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

jim
--