[comp.sys.mac.apps] Name of menu bar launcher INIT?

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (01/15/91)

OK.  What's the name of that commercial init that puts up an icon at
the top right of your screen down from which you can pull a menu of
applications to launch?  And does it work with A/UX 2.0?

Will post answer if I receive one by mail, and if nobody answers by
posting.
--
Dominic Dunlop

abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.151821.11371@tsa.co.uk>, domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
|> OK.  What's the name of that commercial init that puts up an icon at
|> the top right of your screen down from which you can pull a menu of
|> applications to launch?  And does it work with A/UX 2.0?
|>
|> Will post answer if I receive one by mail, and if nobody answers by
|> posting.
|> --
|> Dominic Dunlop

It is called "On Cue" and it works fine in 32-bit mode.  I have not tried
it in 24-bit mode, but would guess it would work fine there too.
--

Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <11738@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:

> In article <1991Jan15.151821.11371@tsa.co.uk>, domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
> |> OK.  What's the name of that commercial init that puts up an icon at
> |> the top right of your screen down from which you can pull a menu of
> |> applications to launch?  And does it work with A/UX 2.0?
> |>
> |> Will post answer if I receive one by mail, and if nobody answers by
> |> posting.
> |> --
> |> Dominic Dunlop
>
> It is called "On Cue" and it works fine in 32-bit mode.  I have not tried
> it in 24-bit mode, but would guess it would work fine there too.

There is also MultiMaster, part of the Now Utilities from Now Software.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/17/91)

In article <0B010004.ad512p@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:

>In article <11738@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
>>

>> It is called "On Cue" and it works fine in 32-bit mode.  I have not tried
>> it in 24-bit mode, but would guess it would work fine there too.
>
>There is also MultiMaster, part of the Now Utilities from Now Software.
>
>-- michael
>

>--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com

There is also HandOff II that does that and more!

Matt

Matthew Mora                |  my Mac  Matt_Mora@QM.SRI.COM
SRI International           |  my SUN   mxmora@unix.sri.com

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (01/22/91)

mazu@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) writes:

}There is also Handoff II which seems do do everything OnCue does and
}more.  You can define "breifcases" (I don't like this name, it can be
}confused with Font/DA Mover files) with many appls/documents and have
}them all launched at the same time.  You can define "categories", for
}example utilities, drwing programs, ... and have a hierarchical menu
}of all the programs in that category (although you can't attach a
}document to an application if it's in a category - a big default that
}makes this feature almost useless for any other program than utilities
}or maybe telecomm programs).  It also substitutes applications
}- for example, if you double-click on a MacWrite file, it can launch
}Word; or it can launch Canvas when you double-click a MacDraw file.
}This is very usaful.  You can even launch Excel when you couble-click
}on a file with a name ending with .WKS, for example.

}The company that makes HandOff II just changed its name.  It's now called:
}	The Handoff Corporation

Actually, I just received HandOff from Connectix Corporation (makers of
Virtual, Maxima, and Optima, all for people with lots of RAM or people
who _wish_ they had lots of RAM :-).  Anyway, it came with a note that
says "Recently, Connectix Corp. assumed responsibility for publishing
HAND-Off.  We will therefore be your primary contact for sales information,
order entry, and technical support.  Please do not hesitate to contact us
for any of these matters at 800/950-5880."  They can also be reached at
125 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park, CA  94025, or by FAX: 415/324-2958.

I have been using HAND-Off for a few weeks now, and I love it.  I also
like how you can have it pop-up anywhere by clicking with a few (user-
definable) modifier keys (Cmd, Option, Ctrl, and/or Shift).  Anyway, it's
really slick, and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

--
----- Steve Lemke, (now in) Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- "I'm not a UNIX wizard, but I play the Postmaster at radius.com." -----

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (01/22/91)

:I have been using HAND-Off for a few weeks now, and I love it.  I also
:like how you can have it pop-up anywhere by clicking with a few (user-
:definable) modifier keys (Cmd, Option, Ctrl, and/or Shift).  Anyway, it's
:really slick, and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

I agree that HAND-OFF is a wonderful utility, however I have a few complaints

There is no nice way to tell if a file is _really_ a Word (for example) file
or something else.
Of course you can open it, or you can get at the 'true' file type through the
Hand-off control panel, but It would be nice if there was a 'get info' entry
on the hand-off menu similar to the finder get-info but reflecting the 'original'
file attributes.

The control panel interface needs some work. (I had to look in the manual ! )
Seriously did Microsoft write the cdev?

I would like to control the order of the applications menu, so that frequently
used apps are near the top.  ( As is I have renamed a few applications to
appear first alphabetically )

-looking forward to an upgrade

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

irwin@udny.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (01/22/91)

In article <1394@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>mazu@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) writes:
>
> {A description of HandOff II deleted}
>
>}The company that makes HandOff II just changed its name.  It's now called:
>}	The Handoff Corporation
>
>Actually, I just received HandOff from Connectix Corporation (makers of
>Virtual, Maxima, and Optima, all for people with lots of RAM or people
>who _wish_ they had lots of RAM :-).  Anyway, it came with a note that
>says "Recently, Connectix Corp. assumed responsibility for publishing
>HAND-Off.  We will therefore be your primary contact for sales information,
>order entry, and technical support.  Please do not hesitate to contact us
>for any of these matters at 800/950-5880."  They can also be reached at
>125 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park, CA  94025, or by FAX: 415/324-2958.

It should be noted that HandOff is the predecessor to HandOff II.  When
what is now The Handoff Corportation made the announcement that they
were upgrading HandOff to HandOff II, it appeared that they were going
to support both versions (they may have even said it in their notice, I
can't remember for sure).  I would have thought that they just would
have dropped HandOff once HandOff II came out.  Selling the rights to
the product seems to be a better idea than mine.

Mark Irwin

Mark Irwin
Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago
irwin@galton.uchicago.edu
mark@stat.ubc.ca

to which irwin@udny.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) replied:

}It should be noted that HandOff is the predecessor to HandOff II.  When
}what is now The Handoff Corportation made the announcement that they
}were upgrading HandOff to HandOff II, it appeared that they were going
}to support both versions (they may have even said it in their notice, I
}can't remember for sure).  I would have thought that they just would
}have dropped HandOff once HandOff II came out.  Selling the rights to
}the product seems to be a better idea than mine.

Let me be more specific:  The package I received says "HAND-Off II" on it,
and the beginning of the letter from Connectix actually states "Thank you
for purchasing HAND-Off II (tm), the intelligent application launcher."

I didn't realize that Hand-Off (the original) was still an issue, but
rather assumed that we were all talking about HAND-Off II.  Anyway, it
appears that Connectix assumed FULL responsibility for it, not JUST for
the old and discontinued version.  This has not been confirmed by either
Connectix or The Hand-Off Corporation, but based on what I have here from
Connectix, I believe it to be the case.  If it becomes an issue, I can
call Connectix to find out, or anyone else can, too:  800/950-5880.

Steve