[comp.sys.mac.apps] Super Boomerang

czahrt@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Robert D. Cappel...you can call me The Bob) (01/17/91)

I have been trying to get a new system init, Super Boomerang to install, but
no matter how many times I put it in my system folder and reboot, it
refuses to install.  When I go to the control panel, the icon shows up, and
when I click on it, it just pops up a dialog box that says "Super Boomerang
not istalled, please reboot."

Can anyone help me?  I have an SE/30, if that has any bearing.
Thanks!
Bob

--
Robert D. Cappel, Iowa City,IA  ||
aka "The Bob"                   ||"All we are saying, is give peace a chance!"

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/17/91)

czahrt@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Robert D. Cappel...you can call me The Bob) writes:

>when I click on it, it just pops up a dialog box that says "Super Boomerang
>not istalled, please reboot."

Sounds like you're not putting in the prefs file.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

crs@castle.ed.ac.uk (C R Smart) (01/17/91)

In article <3955@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> czahrt@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Robert D. Cappel...you can call me The Bob) writes:
>I have been trying to get a new system init, Super Boomerang to install, but
>no matter how many times I put it in my system folder and reboot, it
>refuses to install.  When I go to the control panel, the icon shows up, and
>when I click on it, it just pops up a dialog box that says "Super Boomerang
>not istalled, please reboot."

Check to documentation.  It also needs the preferences file to be installed
in the system folder.

Colin Smart
University of Edinburgh
JCMB
Scotland
crs@uk.ac.ed.castle

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (01/18/91)

In article <3983@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff
Haferman) writes:

>Is Super Boomerang shareware?  If so, is it available via ftp?
>How does it differ from Boomerang?

SuperBoomerang (henceforth SB) is commercial. I got mine free as a registered
user of 2.0. I suggest you try the same. You could also buy Now Utilities to
get it, but Now won't sell SB separately (grr!).

SB has several important changes from Boomerang:
1) SB is accessed via a mini-menu bar along the top of the dialog box. I like
that because there's no sub-menus; you have immediate access to files, folders,
disks.... On the down side, the dialog box becomes a bit taller.
2) SB adds a sub-menu to each program's Open... (or equivelent), containing a
list of files. If you select such a file you never see the Open... dialog box.
It is hard to express how wondeful this is -- it's like trying to explain
Boomerang itself to the uninitiated!
3) SB will (optionally) visually compress filenames so you can see all the
letters in Open... dialog boxes. The names look a bit odd, but I  use long
filenames, so I really like this.

SB is very robust, and I can't live without it. If Now would unbundle it, I'd
buy copies for all my Mac friends. As it is, I find myself trying to explain
why they should use 2.0, and they look at me blankly ("why do I need that"?).

-- Russell
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu

michel@etl.go.jp (Michel Pasquier) (01/18/91)

(Jeff Haferman) writes:

>Is Super Boomerang shareware?  If so, is it available via ftp?
>How does it differ from Boomerang?

 Super Boomerang, currently version 2.0.1, is the commercial version of
Boomerang, and is sold as one of NOW Utilities.
 I believe the last version of Boomerang is 2.0.B9 and that it is the
same init - though Super Boomerang might be more documented.

 NOW Utilities is a very nice package btw. It includes also an init called
NOW Menus which happens to be the commercial version of HierDA, and some
others like an alarm clock, an application/DA/file launcher (a la OnCue),
an init manager, a screen locker, and a few others. There is also a bonus
application to customize the layout of your desktop etc.

 -M.

--
  Michel Pasquier ........................ AIST/MITI Guest Researcher
  ElectroTechnical Laboratory . Intelligent Machine Behaviour Section

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (01/18/91)

In article <49462@etlcom.etl.go.jp> michel@etl.go.jp (Michel Pasquier) writes:
>In article <3983@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu
>(Jeff Haferman) writes:
>>
>>Is Super Boomerang shareware?  If so, is it available via ftp?
>>How does it differ from Boomerang?
>
> Super Boomerang, currently version 2.0.1, is the commercial version of
>Boomerang, and is sold as one of NOW Utilities.
> I believe the last version of Boomerang is 2.0.B9 and that it is the
>same init - though Super Boomerang might be more documented.
>
> NOW Utilities is a very nice package btw. It includes also an init called
>NOW Menus which happens to be the commercial version of HierDA, and some
>others like an alarm clock, an application/DA/file launcher (a la OnCue),
>an init manager, a screen locker, and a few others. There is also a bonus
>application to customize the layout of your desktop etc.

I am currently running Boomerang version 2.0.2, and I have seen mention
of a version 2.1, but have never seen it.  Boomerang was offered as
shareware originally, but the author apparently sold the product to
Now Software, which markets an enhanced version of the product as
SuperBoomerang.  The commercially distributed product has a different
user interface.  All the menus now drop from a menubar that gets added to
the top of the Standard File selection dialog.  Recently accessed files
appear in (and can be selected from) an hierarchical menu that SB attaches
to the "Open..." menu item in most applications.  There are some other
new gongs and whistles, as well.

Recently, I ordered Now Utilities, primarily to obtain SuperBoomerang.
But I have not used it much.  I got quite a few bombs after installing
it (along with some of the other Now Utility INITs).  Don't know yet
what caused the problems - it may not have been SB - but a report has been
filed with Now Software.  I have gone back to using (non-super) Boomerang
until I find out what was happening.
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (01/19/91)

To clear up some confusion:

Yes, Super Boomerang is part of now utilties, a commercial package,

BUT.

If you have boomerang and paid your shareware fee, you were sent (well, I
was sent) a free copy of SB.  I think this is shareware above and beyond
the call of duty!  Not only is boomerang the best addition to the mac
I have ever throw in my system folder, but to allow the shareware people
a copy of the comerial offering with printed docs, at now extra cost...
They also include an order form so that you can purchase Now Utilties
at a substantial discount.

That is customer service!

The usual disclaimer, your milage may vary.

-->  -->  Dale  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (01/19/91)

Version 2.1 was the transition version, and was NOT shareware.
Registered 2.0 users received 2.1 and then SuperBoomerang as free
upgrades.  There was also an offer to buy Now Utilities at a reduced
price with the SuperBoomerang upgrade.  I don't know if you can still
register 2.0 and get the upgrade...

        /s
--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie (01/23/91)

> Is Super Boomerang shareware?  If so, is it available via ftp?
> How does it differ from Boomerang?

No, it's now sold as part of Now Utilities, and is thus obviously not
shareware. it differs from Boomerang in that, rather than having a small icon
with mega pop up menus, it actually has it's own menu bar along the top of your
dialog box. It also extends the 'Open...' command in most applications with
another pop up menu with your previous x opened files. Selecting one of these
will open it _immediately_. I think it's even better than the old Boomerang; it
speeds things up even more, and it's definitely worth the $50 odd for Now,
which also includes lots of other goodies.

David Graham

Internet:  dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie
AppleLink: DUB.GE.RES