[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word 4 and the "For All" symbol

jdm@boulder.colorado.edu (Jim Meiss) (01/23/91)

	I have been trying to create the "for all" symbol using Word 4.0b on my IIcx
with System 6.0.5  I have symbol font, and Key Caps reports that the
combination "Shift '" will make for all. All I can get word to do is make the
"circle R" symbol, which is actually "Option [" in symbol font.

 Has anyone come across this before? I thought this used to work, so its
possible something got messed up. Any suggestions?

davidw@jessica.stanford.edu (David Whelan) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan23.011637.12016@csn.org> jdm@boulder.colorado.edu
(Jim Meiss) writes:
>	I have been trying to create the "for all" symbol using Word 4.0b on
>my IIcx with System 6.0.5  I have symbol font, and Key Caps reports that the
>combination "Shift '" will make for all. All I can get word to do is make the
>"circle R" symbol, which is actually "Option [" in symbol font.

Select Preferences... under the Edit menu and turn off the Smart Quotes option.
Shift-<'> will then produce the universal quantifier in the Symbol font.  Of
course, you'll have to remember to use the Option-<[, {, ], }> commands for
real quotes.

It would be nice if Word would automatically disable Smart Quotes when certain
fonts (like Symbol) were being used.  You could write a macro, but it probably
isn't worth it.  Does anybody else have any ideas?  (Besides making it a
feature on Word 5.  How hard could it be to allow the user to specify the
fonts that should not use Smart Quotes?)

I hope this helps.

David J. Whelan
Junior, Symbolic Systems
Stanford University

mchupa@brahms.udel.edu (Michael A Chupa) (01/23/91)

>>	I have been trying to create the "for all" symbol using Word 4.0b on
>>my IIcx with System 6.0.5  I have symbol font, and Key Caps reports that the
>>combination "Shift '" will make for all. All I can get word to do is make the
>>"circle R" symbol, which is actually "Option [" in symbol font.

     There is an excellent INIT called PopChar, which makes using Symbol
(as well as Dingbat/Picture fonts) much less problematic; my typical use
with Symbol is to select a blank space I've typed in the normal font, typing
command-option-Q to change the space into the Symbol font, and then pulling
down the PopChar keymap to the desired character. If there are normally
formatted spaces or characters following the one just changed, you're done;
otherwise, you should type a command-shift-spacebar to reenter the normal
font. I believe that PopChar is available on sumex.
Mike

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/24/91)

mchupa@brahms.udel.edu (Michael A Chupa) writes:

>     There is an excellent INIT called PopChar, which makes using Symbol
>(as well as Dingbat/Picture fonts) much less problematic; my typical use
>with Symbol is to select a blank space I've typed in the normal font, typing
>command-option-Q to change the space into the Symbol font, and then pulling
>down the PopChar keymap to the desired character. If there are normally
>formatted spaces or characters following the one just changed, you're done;
>otherwise, you should type a command-shift-spacebar to reenter the normal
>font.

I second your enthusiasm for PopChar, it's great! But I'm confused by your
description of using it in Word; the way you describe it working with the
command-shift-Q shortcut is quite different from the way it works for me.
When I use the command-shift-Q feature of Word, it changes the next character
typed to Symbol font and then goes back to the normal font for the following
character. There is no need to use command-shift-spacebar after command-shift-Q.
Since Word is not changing the current font with command-shift-Q, the
Symbol font does not get checked in the font menu and therefore PopChar
(which reads the checked font in the font menu to decide which font to
display when you call it up) still displays whatever is the regular font
being used. The way it works for me is that in order to get PopChar to
display Symbol font when I call it up I have to change the font to Symbol
using either the keyboard command command-shift-E (and then typing "Sym...") or choosing Symbol from the font menu. In this case it is necessary to use
command-shift-spacebar to get back to the regular font.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/24/91)

Don't you hate it when you post something and then go back and
see the item you're following up and realize you missed something!
My previous posting on this thread missed the point that he was
**selecting a space** to change with command-shift-Q rather than
using command-shift-Q to change the font of the next character
typed, which is the way I usually use it.
--

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.011637.12016@csn.org> jdm@boulder.colorado.edu (Jim Meiss) writes:

>	I have been trying to create the "for all" symbol using Word 4.0b on my IIcx
>with System 6.0.5  I have symbol font, and Key Caps reports that the
>combination "Shift '" will make for all. All I can get word to do is make the
>"circle R" symbol, which is actually "Option [" in symbol font.
>
> Has anyone come across this before? I thought this used to work, so its
>possible something got messed up. Any suggestions?

Check the "Smart" Quotes option.  It is on and thus your ' (single
quote) is mapped onto the curly single quote.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109