[comp.sys.mac.apps] japanese on a mac?

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) (01/28/91)

Hi.  I'm a consultant for a dormitory at Stanford, and a lot of people
in the dorm are taking Japanese.  It'd be nice to give them some tools
for learning it on the Mac.

(1)	Are there any hypercard stacks for Practicing Japanese?

(2)	Are there any word processors that do Japanese, or at least
some good kana or kanji fonts?

(3)	Are there any kterm emulators for the Mac, so I could have
people using rn on a mainframe, learning Japanese the .fj way

--Alan

--
--Alan

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (01/28/91)

In article <17469@csli.Stanford.EDU> ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) writes:
 > (1)	Are there any hypercard stacks for Practicing Japanese?

Yes. But I don't remember them. I think they are very popular because
I always see them on catalog such as MacConnection. This software
maker releases French, Russian, German, too.

 > (2)	Are there any word processors that do Japanese, or at least
 > some good kana or kanji fonts?

Nisus can do. But you probably need Japanese OS to work with Japanese;
KanjiTalk, which you could buy from APDA. Only for your personal use,
KT also is included in ETO, Develop CD-ROM.
If you like plain editor, try info-mac/app/asledit-plus-10a12.hqx.
For Japanese fonts, look into info-mac/font/japan-fonts.hqx.

 > (3)	Are there any kterm emulators for the Mac, so I could have
 > people using rn on a mainframe, learning Japanese the .fj way

I don't know what kterm is. But there is a simple terminal emulator
which includes VT100 emulation: NinjaTerm. I looked for it in
info-mac. But not in it, why... Someone around you might have it. Or
request me.