[comp.sys.mac.apps] A couple of questions about MS-Word...

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (01/24/91)

I have a couple of questions about Word...

1. Is there any way to change your defaults so that when you first boot the
application your ruler will came up by itself.

2. Is there any way to write in reverse? By that I mean have white letters
on a black background. Normally, when I have to do something of the sort, I end up loading PageMaker, and doing it there, but I would much prefer to do it
through Word.

E-Mail would be prefered, since I don't always read all these newsgroups.

				Thanks,

				Nuno

--
Nuno M. Paixao    \\ PAIXAO@UG.CS.DAL.CA  \\  So I don't have an exciting
2319 Clifton St.  \\ DEXTER@AC.DAL.CA     \\  .SIGNATURE file.... If you

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan24.030733.14138@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>I have a couple of questions about Word...
>
>1. Is there any way to change your defaults so that when you first boot the
>application your ruler will came up by itself.

Under the Edit menu is a command called Commands. Choose it and find
the entry called Open Document with Rulers. Then hit the right button
and it will be placed in the format menu so you can turn it on or off.

>2. Is there any way to write in reverse? By that I mean have white letters

I don't think so.

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

rlancast@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ron Lancaster) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan24.030733.14138@cs.dal.ca>, paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
> 1. Is there any way to change your defaults so that when you first boot the
> application your ruler will came up by itself.

All you need to do is go to Commands (under Edit), select "Open Files
With Ruler" (or something similar) and click on the DO button.  It won't
affect the current window, but any new one you open will have the ruler
automatically displayed.

jness@ub.d.umn.edu (Joel Ness) (01/26/91)

>In article <1991Jan24.030733.14138@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>>2. Is there any way to write in reverse? By that I mean have white letters
>
>I don't think so.
Actually, you could choose white for the text color and then insert as
hidden text the postscript for butting a black box behind a paragraph.
The Word manual shows how to do this. It would be an easy glossary item.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth			Phone: (218) 726-8841
Duluth, MN  55812

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (01/28/91)

:>>2. Is there any way to write in reverse? By that I mean have white letters
:>
:>I don't think so.
:Actually, you could choose white for the text color and then insert as
:hidden text the postscript for butting a black box behind a paragraph.
:The Word manual shows how to do this. It would be an easy glossary item.

I suspect that the origial poster was interested in whete on black
for the screen.  (For what it is worth you would need a darn good
printer to paint a whole page black with white text and have it look good.)

There are several inits that will invert the whole screen, thus giving
you white on black text in your word processor.

Close View (which used to be shipped with new systems..) will do
it, but something which just inverts the screen might be less intrusive.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu