[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacX Over AppleTalk

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) (01/27/91)

Does anybody have experience using MacX over AppleTalk (at the Mac end)
instead of using some sort of Mac-Ethernet?

In particular, I am thinking of having a Mac SE run MacX as a
X-windows server, with the client running on some other Unix
machine.  The Unix machine is connected to an Ethernet which has
a router to a AppleTalk network that contains the Mac SE.

Is this possible?  How is performance?  How does this impact
the other users on the AppleTalk?

Thank you,
	...Paul Lu (paullu@cs.ualberta.ca)

briel@sctc.com (Marc Briel ) (01/29/91)

paullu@cs.UAlberta.CA (Paul Lu) writes:

>Does anybody have experience using MacX over AppleTalk (at the Mac end)
>instead of using some sort of Mac-Ethernet?

>In particular, I am thinking of having a Mac SE run MacX as a
>X-windows server, with the client running on some other Unix
>machine.  The Unix machine is connected to an Ethernet which has
>a router to a AppleTalk network that contains the Mac SE.

>Is this possible?  How is performance?  How does this impact
>the other users on the AppleTalk?

>Thank you,
>	...Paul Lu (paullu@cs.ualberta.ca)

I have been using this configuration for about two months. The
performance is acceptable for my uses (mostly text editing). It is
about twice as fast as running NCSA TELNET on my Mac II. People used
to Sun workstations find it intolerably slow and say that an Ethernet
card helps a lot. People who use X-terminals on ethernet find MacX on
appletalk faster on some operations and slower on others.

				Marc Briel