[comp.sys.mac.apps] Serial LaserWriter not printing smart quotes

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (01/26/91)

Ever since we started using our LaserWriter IINT in a serial mode
with XON/XOFF handshaking, the smart quotes print out as R and S
and the long dash prints out as a P.  (Font is Times 12.)

The document is prepared on one Mac and printed on another where the
font lists don't match.  But we haven't seen this problem until
the communication change (appletalk to serial XON/XOFF).

Graphics within Word print out fine.  But not smart quotes and long
dashes.  Does this make any sense?

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/29/91)

Sue Klefstad writes:
>Ever since we started using our LaserWriter IINT in a serial mode
>with XON/XOFF handshaking, the smart quotes print out as R and S
>and the long dash prints out as a P.  (Font is Times 12.)

Is your serial port set to 8 bits?  Losing the top bit causes the symptoms
you describe.
--
Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz   Twisted pair: +64 4 772 116
BIX: brucehoult                 Last Resort:  PO Box 4145 Wellington, NZ