[comp.sys.mac.apps] Ultra Paint 1.0

Chuckarelei@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chuckarelei) (01/15/91)

Is there any UltraPaint 1.0 user out there. The thing bombs on me
everytime when I try to use the plug in tools.
Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!  Help!
E=Mail me if you can help.
Chuckarelei

--
Chuckarelei - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!343!31!Chuckarelei

gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) (01/21/91)

In <37.27979C9B@busker.fidonet.org> Chuckarelei@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chuckarelei) writes:

>Is there any UltraPaint 1.0 user out there. The thing bombs on me
>everytime when I try to use the plug in tools.
>Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!  Help!
>E=Mail me if you can help.
>Chuckarelei

>--
>Chuckarelei - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
>    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!343!31!Chuckarelei
>INTERNET: Chuckarelei@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Heh!! I thought I was the only one who had that problem. I've read somewhere recently
of a newer version (1.02?) being released. Maybe its time for s nasty-gram to Deneba
about user support. My copy had missing pages of the documentation which I told
them of on the registration card and I never heard a single word from them nor
did I get the missing pages.

Does anuone know if Deneba has a uucp or internet address?

Snail: Doug R. Gosciak     Quote: Become the one    Net: gosciak@muondev.uucp
       3321 Wyoming SW            you dream you     GEnie: DGOSCIAK
       Wyoming, MI 49509          can be.           CI$: 72115,703

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.004603.10692@muondev.uucp> gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) writes:
   In <37.27979C9B@busker.fidonet.org> Chuckarelei@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chuckarelei) writes:

   >Is there any UltraPaint 1.0 user out there. The thing bombs on me
   >everytime when I try to use the plug in tools.
   >Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!  Help!
   >E=Mail me if you can help.
   >Chuckarelei

I have been using UltraPaint for about 5 months without problems...
Can you describe the problem in more detail?  Also the standard reply
"Check your INITs" applies...

 > My copy had missing pages of the documentation which I told them of
 > on the registration card and I never heard a single word from them
 > nor did I get the missing pages.

The manual is (IMHO) a catastrophe.  I got all the pages, but it
didn't help...  The manual is vague, confusing, full of typos, and in
some cases just plain wrong!  I can't believe I spent an hour putting
the thing together!

        /s

--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

kenh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Ken Hillen) (01/22/91)

I too had problems with UltraPaint crashing every time I did something with
one of the plug-in tools.  I eventually discovered that everything worked
just fine when I removed multifinder 6.1b9 and installed a 'released' version
of multifinder.  When I passed this information on to Deneba they showed no
interest in working on the problem since v6.1b9 has not been officially
released.

I hope this helps.

Ken Hillen

gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) (01/24/91)

In <10349@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> kenh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Ken Hillen) writes:

>I too had problems with UltraPaint crashing every time I did something with
>one of the plug-in tools.  I eventually discovered that everything worked
>just fine when I removed multifinder 6.1b9 and installed a 'released' version
>of multifinder.  When I passed this information on to Deneba they showed no
>interest in working on the problem since v6.1b9 has not been officially
>released.

>I hope this helps.

>Ken Hillen

Oh that's interesting. That definitely present me with a two-fold problem.
(1) I normally run multifinder 6.1b9 when I boot mac os native because I
use MPW and Sade a lot and that combo needs 6.1b9. (2) When I boot A/UX 2.0
it runs multifinder 6.9 (A/UX only) which is very similar to multifinder 6.1b9.

Now thats a fine kettle of fish!

I suppose I should really get off anf on and write a tacky letter to Deneba
and see where it will get me.

Snail: Doug R. Gosciak     Quote: Become the one    Net: gosciak@muondev.uucp
       3321 Wyoming SW            you dream you     GEnie: DGOSCIAK
       Wyoming, MI 49509          can be.           CI$: 72115,703

rth@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Hughes) (01/25/91)

They are on CompuServe, (one could mail them through INTERNET), and said for
upgrade to to send the Program and Util Disk to:
ATTN: Customer Support
Deneba Software
3305 NW 74th Ave
Miami, FL 33122
This is upgrade to 1.02

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (01/25/91)

Ken Hillen writes in a message to All

KH> I too had problems with UltraPaint crashing every time I did
KH> something with one of the plug-in tools. I eventually discovered
KH> that everything worked just fine when I removed multifinder 6.1b9
KH> and installed a 'released' version of multifinder. When I passed
KH> this information on to Deneba they showed no interest in working
KH> on the problem since v6.1b9 has not been officially released.

What's so irritating about this is that 6.1b9 WAS officially released.  Apple ships it with every copy of SADE that it sells and you MUST use this version if you use SADE.

austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) (01/28/91)

In article <0.279FC789@mmug.mn.org> Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>Ken Hillen writes in a message to All
>
>KH> I too had problems with UltraPaint crashing every time I did
>KH> something with one of the plug-in tools. I eventually discovered
>KH> that everything worked just fine when I removed multifinder 6.1b9
>KH> and installed a 'released' version of multifinder. When I passed
>KH> this information on to Deneba they showed no interest in working
>KH> on the problem since v6.1b9 has not been officially released.
>
>What's so irritating about this is that 6.1b9 WAS officially released.  Apple ships it with every copy of SADE that it sells and you MUST use this version if you use SADE.

I found that there was a bug in 6.1b9 where it occasionally trashed D3.  It
wasn't a problem on my machine (since I wasn't running it), but was a problem
on a coworkers machine, since he couldn't run my program.  If UltraPaint
is using MFTempNewHandle, then they need to save D3.  Simple fix.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/29/91)

>In <10349@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> kenh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Ken Hillen) writes:
>>one of the plug-in tools.  I eventually discovered that everything worked
>>just fine when I removed multifinder 6.1b9 and installed a 'released' version
>>of multifinder.  When I passed this information on to Deneba they showed no
>>interest in working on the problem since v6.1b9 has not been officially
>>released.

This sounds like exactly the reaction I got from Supermac when I found the
 same problem with Superspool v5.0. I sympathize with you; it's very
 frustrating!

 I just wish there was another spooler available for the Imagewriter, because
 MF 6.1b9 is too useful to be without.

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com