[comp.sys.mac.apps] Norton Review

phil@waikato.ac.nz (01/22/91)

This is the review I promised of Norton Utilities a couple of months
ago.  It's been done for a while -- I just forgot to follow up my
offer to post it.  It's not amazingly well-structured or anything -- I
just added to the file whenever I discovered something interesting.

The manual was more up to date than Read Me file! Not a big problem,
but I  thought it was meant to be the other way around.

Norton Utilities (NU) comes with an installer, which simplies
installation. The  utilities wanted are selected, then they are
installed in the appropriate place.  It didnUt mind that I moved the
NU folder into my own Utilities folder after  the installation.

A few useful DAs, INITs and CDEVs come with NU, viz:

Fast Find DA replaces AppleUs Find File and it is fast. Has useful
options,  e.g. Open Document.

DiskLight is an INIT/CDEV which displays an icon (either at the left
or  right of the menu bar) when there is disk access going on. It
differentiates between read and write and floppy and hard drive and
might be useful to those who have a hard or floppy disk without a
light or  with its light obscured.

KeyFinder is a DA which shows all the key combinations in one big
table.  Some people might prefer Key Caps which is slightly more
interactive and  where you see the keyboard layout and get to try the
different key  combinations out.

Directory Assistance is an INIT that adds some Finder operations to
Open  and Save dialog boxes. It also allows the order that files and
folders are  listed to be changed. I find it a good extension to the
interface. Being able  to select different volumes with a pop up menu
would be a nice addition (I  have another INIT which does this).

None of the INITs seemed to react unfavourably with the others in my
arsenal or the applications IUve been using lately.

I found deleted file protection easier to enable with Norton.

Disk Doctor checks for desktop and file inconsistencies. On my drive,
it found  some files with bundle bits which werenUt set (so their
proper icons didnUt  show) and some files with incorrect dates (from
when my Mac was new and I  hadnUt set the clock). A report can be
produced explaining what was found and  what action was taken, which
can be saved to disk as a plain text file.

Speed Disk had similar options and information to SUM Tune Up, but
itUs disk  usage map was easier to see and allowed close inspection of
its contents. I  donUt know how much use it would be, but it was
interesting. I was unable to  compare the optimization, as my disk was
not very fragmented (1% according  to SUM, 0.68% according to NU).

The Disk Editor was limited in that sectors couldnUt be copied and
pasted  (useful for fixing damaged disks by hand) but otherwise
provided a lot of  information and allowed changes to be made in an
easier format for novice  users than ResEdit provides. SUM was equally
limited. FEdit+ is more  powerful in this respect.

Layout Plus is a useful tool. It allows a user to customise Finder and
System  settings, something that would otherwise have to be done with
ResEdit and a  knowledge of which resources to edit. Most Mac users
baulk at tinkering at  this level. NU didnUt seem to know that Layout
had been renamed Layout Plus,  and had to ask me to find it. It was in
the folder where NU was looking for  Layout.

On line help in NU is HyperText style and context sensitive. It is one
of the  better online help systems IUve seen.

NU comes with some extra features not included in SUM II, however SUM
provides a more extensive set of tools. Features provided by SUM II,
but not  provided by NU are disk backup, file/folder encryption, fast
floppy disk copier  and software disk partitioning.

I doubt if compulsive utility collectors will be able to do without
both, as each  has sufficent unique features to justify its purchase.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/31/91)

In <1991Jan22.162416.2781@waikato.ac.nz> phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>I doubt if compulsive utility collectors will be able to do without
>both, as each  has sufficent unique features to justify its purchase.

According to MacWeek, Symantec plans to combine the two sometime in June,
though they hint that it will probably occur later in the year.

                           "Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...