[comp.sys.mac.apps] Looking for new word-processor

jdonohue@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jeffrey Donohue) (01/28/91)

If anyone knows of a word-processor, either shareware, public domain, or
commercial, for the MAC SE, which would allow me to write from the right side
of the page to the left, please let me know.  Specifically, I am looking for a
processor on which I can use Hebrew and Arabic fonts on.  These two language
are written in the opposite direction as Latin and Germanic languages; I am
using Word 4.0 at the moment, but I am unable to figure out (even assuming it
is possible to do so on Word 4.0) how to set this up.  Any comments would be
appreciated.  Thanks.
                                       Jeff Donohue
                                        login JDONOHUE

----
ProLine:  jdonohue@pro-angmar
Internet: pro-angmar!jdonohue@alphalpha.com
UUCP:     uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!jdonohue

hubbact2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Chris T. Hubbard) (01/29/91)

In article <0.mac.apps@pro-angmar>, jdonohue@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jeffrey Donohue) writes:
> If anyone knows of a word-processor, either shareware, public domain, or
> commercial, for the MAC SE, which would allow me to write from the right side
> of the page to the left, please let me know.  Specifically, I am looking for a
> processor on which I can use Hebrew and Arabic fonts on.  These two language
> are written in the opposite direction as Latin and Germanic languages; I am
> using Word 4.0 at the moment, but I am unable to figure out (even assuming it
> is possible to do so on Word 4.0) how to set this up.  Any comments would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>                                        Jeff Donohue
>                                         login JDONOHUE
>
> ----
> ProLine:  jdonohue@pro-angmar
> Internet: pro-angmar!jdonohue@alphalpha.com
> UUCP:     uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!jdonohue

Hello,

I am a student at Purdue in my fourth semester of Hebrew.  I am also interested
in a text editor that goes from right to left.  I found some thing made in 1986
called MacInHebrew which was supposed to allow Macwrite to be a Hebrew text
Editor.  I got it from  cc.sfu.ca .  If you would like to look at it you can
ftp it from there by doing the following.
cd PC2
get
DA/MACHEBREW
(local name)

It does like just "get DA/MACHEBREW" because it tries to put it in a directory
DA.  There also two other files that go with it in DO/MACHEBREW and FO/MACHEBREW
as you can probably tell are documentation and fonts for this da.  I tried half-
heartedly to try it, but I don't have enough time to really get into it.  It was
designed by someone at the Hillel foundation at MIT.  Like I said, it was made
in 1986, so the current operation system might not run it correctly.  The
documentation is 50 pages long.  So if you get it and get it running please
tell me how you did it.  If you can not ftp from there, I will send it to you.
Also, you might see if there is a new version out there.

I would appreciate you opinions on this,

Shalom,

Chris T. Hubbard

takayama@pcrd.crl.sony.co.jp (Takayama-Yosihisa) (01/29/91)

(Jeffrey Donohue) writes:
 >If anyone knows of a word-processor, either shareware, public domain, or
 >commercial, for the MAC SE, which would allow me to write from the right side
 >of the page to the left, please let me know. Specifically, I am looking for a
 >processor on which I can use Hebrew and Arabic fonts on.  These two language
 >are written in the opposite direction as Latin and Germanic languages; I am
 >using Word 4.0 at the moment, but I am unable to figure out (even assuming it
 >is possible to do so on Word 4.0) how to set this up.  Any comments would be
 >appreciated.  Thanks.
 >					 Jeff Donohue
 >					  login JDONOHUE

Yes I know an appropriate word processor. It is called ALLSCRIPT.
AllScript is a multi lingual word processing software. Of cource you
can write Arabic and Hebrew document. Additionaly you can mix up all
script. I use AllScript on my Macintosh. I can write Japanese kanji,
English, German, French, Hebrew and Arabic in the same line. Mixed up.
Of cource Japanese, English, German and French are LTR(Left-to-Right).
Arabic and Hebrew are RTL.

AllScript is now commercially avairable in the market. There is the
distributer in US. (Sorry, but I have no information.) I got AllScript
in Japanese market. The distributer of AllScript in Japan is below.
You can also get multi lingual Macintosh system software from MAKI
Enterprise Inc..

      MAKI Enterprise Inc.
      P.O.Box 6 AWAIKEDA Tokusima 778 JAPAN
      Tel (81) 0883 72 5770  Fax (81) 0883 72 6380
      AppleLink MAKI.ENT.DVJ

------------
SONY Takayama-Yosihisa

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (01/30/91)

In article <4703@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>
           hubbact2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Chris T. Hubbard) writes:
>In article <0.mac.apps@pro-angmar>,
 #          jdonohue@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jeffrey Donohue) writes:
># If anyone knows of a word-processor, either shareware, public domain, or
># commercial, for the MAC SE, which would allow me to write from the right
side
># of the page to the left, please let me know.
   ...(skipping the rest from JD)...
>I am a student at Purdue in my fourth semester of Hebrew.  I am also
interested
>in a text editor that goes from right to left.  I found some thing made in
1986
>called MacInHebrew which was supposed to allow Macwrite to be a Hebrew text
>Editor.  I got it from  cc.sfu.ca .

MacInHebrew was done by someone connected to MIT, if I remember right.  Note
that there is a new version of this just out (I got a postcard about version
4.0 sometime in the last month, as I am registered for the earlier version).
The success of the earlier version depends on what application you are trying
to use it with.  As I remember, it worked great with MacWrite, okay with
WriteNow, and pretty lousy with some text editor I had at the time.

If you're looking for a separate word processor which does Hebrew, there is a
company in Chicago called Davka which sells some.  They have a number of other
Hebrew/Jewish products for the Mac (and even others for the PC).  I don't have
the information here at work though, so I can't give you the details.  If no
one else comes up with the info, send me a message and I'll dig it up from
home.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

gillies@cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (01/31/91)

We tried MacInHebrew a week ago (old 1986 version) and it wouldn't
work with system 6.0.

MacInHebrew works by replacing the TextEdit toolbox routines with
routines that accept and print text right to left.  It is really
strange.  You can switch from right/left to left/right at any time.
You can even plot some characters on the left end of a line, some on
the right, then some of the left, etc.  Almost all sophisticated word
processors do not use TextEdit because of its 32K limit on the maximum
amount of text that can be edited.  For example, it won't work with
ms-word.

Almost all draw programs DO use text edit so MacInHebrew should work
with these programs.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
"UGH!  WAR! ... What is it GOOD FOR?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"  - 60's music lyrics