[comp.sys.mac.apps] Cheap C compiler

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (01/29/91)

I haven't tried it, but there is a shareware C compiler for the Mac
called Sesame C.  It is available from Educorp (among other places),
531 Stevens Ave., Ste. B, Solana Beach, CA 92075.

-Ralph

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/30/91)

In article <Jan.29.08.44.49.1991.27883@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes...
>I haven't tried it, but there is a shareware C compiler for the Mac
>called Sesame C.  It is available from Educorp (among other places),
>531 Stevens Ave., Ste. B, Solana Beach, CA 92075.

It is also available by anonymous ftp from sumex ( 36.44.0.6 ).
You'll find it as sesame-c-compiler.hqx in the /info-mac/lang
directory.

Nevertheless, the original question brings to mind a statement
made by the oil-well fire fighter Red Adair who was interviewed
recently about the Gulf situation:

"If you think an expert is expensive, try hiring an amateur."

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/30/91)

In article <43092@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes...
>It is also available by anonymous ftp from sumex ( 36.44.0.6 ).
>You'll find it as sesame-c-compiler.hqx in the /info-mac/lang
>directory.

Johnston is clearly an idiot.  The Sesame C compiler was removed
from the archives in favor of "gcc-137-part%.hqx" (parts 1-6).
I assume that this is a "gnu-er" cheap C compiler, but I have not
checked it out.

If anybody is interested in the nearly useless 1986-era Sesame C
compiler that used to be in the archives, I would be happy to
e-mail a copy.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bruce Corwin McLaren) (01/30/91)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>Nevertheless, the original question brings to mind a statement
>made by the oil-well fire fighter Red Adair who was interviewed
>recently about the Gulf situation:

>"If you think an expert is expensive, try hiring an amateur."

>-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

on that note, a recomendation AGAINST a cheap C compiler.  Aztec C from
Manx is cheaper, but has several holes. sqrt() and ran() don't work as
documented (don't ask), pow() doesn't work at all, it isn't possible to
make a selection from a menu, set the random number seed, or use any penpat
except all black.  There are a few others, but i've given up trying to use
it to access the toolbox routines at all.  i got what i paid for, not much.
bruce

--
Bruce McLaren                               | There is no problem too big
rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (for most stuff)  |            to run away from

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.154837.12805@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rabbit42@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Bruce Corwin McLaren) writes:

>on that note, a recomendation AGAINST a cheap C compiler.  Aztec C from
>Manx is cheaper, but has several holes. sqrt() and ran() don't work as
>documented (don't ask), pow() doesn't work at all, it isn't possible to
>make a selection from a menu, set the random number seed, or use any penpat
>except all black.  There are a few others, but i've given up trying to use
>it to access the toolbox routines at all.  i got what i paid for, not much.
>bruce

Interesting - I bought Aztec in 1984, when it was virtually the only game
in town. I kept it up to date until about two years ago when Manx seemed
to drop support. It has been an excellent system with features not found in
other C compilers. These include support for A4 instead of A5 making it
easier to write stand-alone code. The code is compact and quite predictable.
I have written many Mac stand-alone applications with the system. The big
problem is the fact that Manx has not updated the Toolbox interface files
and libraries in a couple of years. Specifically, the calls described in
I.M. vol 5 are generally not supported. This makes programming for
MultiFinder a bit difficult, not to mention System 7...

I have now switched to MPW for my work. At least its developer keeps the
libraries up to date :-).

But, for a beginner, it's a good system. And, if you are comfortable with
the UNIX interface, it feels like home. For a Mac person, choose either
Think or MPW. There ARE good reasons these two packages sell so well...

Jack Brindle.

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/31/91)

In article <15534@milton.u.washington.edu>, bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob Olsen) writes:
> I bought THINK C and like it very much.  Although I've never had a chance to
> use any other C compilers, I can assure you that THINK C is a great system
> to develop stand-alone or ANSI code.

Being an MPW C coder exclusively, I do not hesitate to say that the
Think-C compiler is the best bargain for anyone looking to get started
programming C on the Mac.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208